STATE OF CALIFORNIA, PETE WILSON, Governor
August 18, 1998
RE: Variance Request #106 - Allow for nighttime construction (9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.) along The Old Road and San Fernando Road between Weldon Canyon Road to beyond the Balboa Boulevard overpass (station numbers 3785+65 to 3904+61), Segment 2B.
Dear Mr. Shauers:
The CPUC has reviewed the above-referenced request and approves your request, based on the following factors:
- All applicable mitigation measures for the project shall be implemented at the subject location, including implementation of noise abatement measures and traffic plans.
- Prior to the commencement of nighttime construction, written documentation from CalTrans requiring and approving nighttime construction shall be provided to the CPUC Environmental Monitor. All conditions of approval shall be implemented.
- Prior to the commencement of nighttime construction (9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.), an Emergency Contingency Plan shall be prepared that specifically identifies procedures to be implemented in the event that traffic congestion (due to vehicle volume, accidents, etc.) on nearby interstates/highways/freeways results in increased traffic volumes on The Old Road and San Fernando Road. The Emergency Contingency Plan shall be submitted to CalTrans for approval; written CalTrans approval to be provided to the CPUC Environmental Monitor upon receipt. Until an approved Emergency Contingency Plan is in place, nighttime construction shall be limited to 9:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Prior to the commencement of nighttime construction, 72-hour advance notice shall be provided to all land owners and tenants within 300 feet of the proposed area of nighttime construction. A copy of the notice shall be provided to the CPUC Environmental Monitor.
- All noise complaints received shall be filed immediately with CalTrans, Los Angeles Police Commission, and the CPUC Environmental Monitor for consideration. Failure to file any noise complaint(s) shall result in the immediately cessation of nighttime construction as allowed under this variance approval.
- As proposed, 48-hour notice shall be provided to the CPUC Lead Environmental Monitor prior to the commencement of nighttime construction.
- As proposed, nighttime construction shall be completed with 45 working days.
- Implementation of this variance approval in accordance with the provisions noted above shall be verified on a random basis by a CPUC/ANF Environmental Monitor.
Back to Variances Pages
Back to MMCRP Home Page