Welcome to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) website for California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review of the Southern California Edison Company (SCE) Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project.
Table 1 outlines the background for the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project.
|Table 1. Background for the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project|
|January 16, 2007||SCE filed an application (No. 07-01-031) and Proponent’s Environmental Assessment with the CPUC for a Permit to Construct the Valley–Ivyglen 115-kV Subtransmission Line.|
|April 30, 2007||SCE filed an application (No. 07-04-028) and Proponent’s Environmental Assessment with the CPUC for a Permit to Construct for the Fogarty Substation.|
|June 7, 2007||CPUC determined that the Valley–Ivyglen 115-kV Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation applications would be consolidated into a single proceeding for CEQA analysis.|
|December 21, 2007||CPUC deemed the Valley–Ivyglen 115-kV Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation applications complete.|
|June 2009||CPUC released the Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Valley–Ivyglen 115-kV Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project.|
|May 2010||CPUC released the Final EIR for the Valley–Ivyglen 115-kV Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project.|
|August 12, 2010||CPUC issued Decision 10-08-009 granting SCE a Permit to Construct the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project.|
|June 2011 through January 2012||SCE substantially constructed Fogarty Substation.|
|April 2, 2013||SCE filed a Petition for Modification (PFM) for the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project.|
|August 2013||CPUC determined it was in the public’s best interest to consolidate the environmental reviews of the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line Project and SCE Alberhill System Project Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity (CPCN) application (A. 09-09-022; proposed Alberhill Project) into one EIR.|
|March 26, 2014||SCE filed a Motion to Bifurcate consideration of the modifications proposed to complete Fogarty Substation from consideration of the modifications proposed to start construction of the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line.|
|August 28, 2014||CPUC approved bifurcation of Fogarty Substation from the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line Project.|
|May 23, 2014||SCE filed an amended PFM for the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line Project (proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project).|
|April 28, 2015||CPUC deemed the PFM for proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project complete.|
|May 6, 2015||CPUC released an NOP for the proposed Alberhill Project and proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project|
This section describes the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project components as currently proposed in the 2014 PFM as amended by responses from SCE to CPUC requests for additional information.
The proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project would involve:
- Construction of a new, single-circuit 115-kV subtransmission line and fiber optic line. The route of the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project would be approximately 27 miles long and constructed within approximately 23 miles of new ROW.
- Installation of overhead fiber optic lines on the proposed structures and underground in new (approximately (10,000 feet) and existing (approximately (13,200 feet) conduit.
- Transfer of existing distribution circuits along portions of the proposed substransmission line to new 115-kV structures or to underground positions.
- Installation of new 115-kV switching and protective equipment at Valley and Ivyglen Substations.
The alignment of the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project would generally follow the route approved in 2010 by CPUC Decision 10-08-009, with modifications to address erosion and landslide activity that occurred in the area. The modified route would traverse unincorporated Riverside County and the cities of Menifee, Perris, and Lake Elsinore. Click here to view a map (updated May 2015) of the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project. The GIS webviewer for the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project is available here. Instructions for using the GIS webviewer are available here.In addition to route realignment, the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project would include the following modifications compared to the 2010 approved project:
- Additional disturbance areas and access road changes;
- Alternate construction methods, including helicopter use, blasting, temporary transmission poles, and retaining walls;
- Additional underground installations;
- Additional transmission structures and types of transmission structures;
- Increased span lengths and depths of borings;
- Additional construction methods, including shoofly poles, blasting, guard structures, and helicopter use;
- Modifications to work areas, staging areas, and helicopter operation yards; and
- Modifications to the telecommunications system, including overhead and underground installation.
A description of the proposed Alberhill Project is located on the Alberhill website.
SCE’s proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project and proposed Alberhill Project would be constructed within the same right-of-way (ROW) from the intersection of Collier Avenue and Third Street in the City of Lake Elsinore northwest approximately 6.5 miles to the proposed Alberhill Substation site. Within this ROW, the 115-kV conductor required for the proposed Alberhill Project would be installed on the 115-kV structures constructed as part of the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project. Because the components of the proposed Valley-Ivyglen Project are required for construction of the proposed Alberhill Project, and the two proposed projects would be constructed during the same period, the CPUC determined that it would be in the public’s best interest to consolidate the CEQA analyses for the proposed Alberhill System Project CPCN application and the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project PFM application into a single CEQA document.
As the lead agency, the CPUC will prepare one Draft and one Final EIR to evaluate the environmental impacts of both projects in accordance with the criteria, standards, and procedures of CEQA (Public Resources Code Sections 21000 et seq. and California Code of Regulations Title 14, sections 15000 et seq.).
The CPUC circulated an NOP for the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project (with project changes as described in the amended 2014 PFM) and proposed Alberhill Project on May 6, 2015, which opened a 30-day scoping period. The scoping period will end June 5, 2015.The CPUC hosted two scoping meetings for the proposed projects on May 18, 2015. One meeting was held at the Cesar E. Chavez Library in Perris from 1:00 to 2:30 pm. The second meeting was held at the Lake Elsinore Cultural Arts Center in Lake Elsinore from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. Each meeting began with a brief presentation, followed by a period to answer specific questions about the proposed projects. Click the following links to view materials provided at the meetings:
- Notice of Preparation (May 6, 2015)
- Presentation Slides
- Information about the CPUC’s role, as presented by the CPUC Project Manager
- Valley–Ivyglen Project Fact Sheet
- Alberhill Project Fact Sheet
- Webviewer for the proposed Alberhill Project and Valley–Ivyglen Project
The public and agencies were invited to submit written comments until the scoping period ended on June 5, 2015. The CPUC will base the information and extent of analysis to be presented in the Draft EIR on input and comments received during public scoping.
As the CEQA Lead Agency, the CPUC prepared a Draft EIR for the proposed project in accordance with CEQA. Links to view the Notice of Completion, Notice of Availability, and Draft EIR are provided below.
Hardcopies of the Draft EIR are available at the following repositories:
|Lake Elsinore Library
600 West Graham Avenue
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
|Paloma Valley Library
31375 Bradley Road
Menifee, CA 92584
|Canyon Lake Library
31516 Railroad Canyon Road
Canyon Lake, CA 92587
|City of Perris Cesar E. Chavez Library
163 East San Jacinto Avenue
Perris, CA 92570
34303 Mission Trail
Wildomar, CA 92595
The CPUC will receive comments on the Draft EIR during a public review period starting April 14, 2016, and ending May 31, 2016. Written comments on the Draft EIR may be submitted using any of the following methods:
Fax: (415) 398-5326
|Mail: California Public Utilities Commission
c/o Ecology and Environment, Inc.
505 Sansome Street, Suite #300
San Francisco, CA 94111
The CPUC will hold public meetings on May 11 and 12, 2016, to explain the proposed projects, discuss the proposed projects’ significant impacts, and receive comments on the Draft EIR from the public. Information regarding the public meetings is provided below:
|May 11, 2016, 6:00 to 8:00pm
City of Lake Elsinore Cultural Arts Center
183 North Main Street
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
|May 12, 2016, 12:30 to 2:30pm
Cesar Chavez Library:
City of Perris Branch – Community Room
163 E. San Jacinto
Perris , CA 92570
Comments on the Draft EIR will be addressed in a Response to Comments document that, together with the Draft EIR, will constitute the Final EIR. The CPUC will issue separate proposed decisions on SCE’s applications for the proposed Valley–Ivyglen Project and the proposed Alberhill Project.
Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission LineThe following 2014 Petition for Modification and Project Modification Report supersede the modifications specific to the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line described in the 2013 Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project Petition for Modification and Project Modification Report:
- Determination of Completeness (April 28, 2015)
- Amended Petition for Modification (Filing Date: May 23, 2014)
- Amended Project Modification Report (27 MB) (Filing Date: May 23, 2014)
Fogarty SubstationThe following Petition for Modification and Project Modification Report supersede the modifications specific to the Fogarty Substation described in the 2013 Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project Petition for Modification and Project Modification Report. The applicant’s Motion to Bifurcate is also provided.
- Petition for Modification and Project Modification Report (Filing Date: March 26, 2014)
- Motion to Bifurcate (Filing Date: March 26, 2014)
Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project
- Petition for Modification (Filing Date: April 2, 2013)
- Project Modification Report (28 MB) (Filing Date: April 2, 2013)
Fogarty Substation Construction Notices to Proceed
Notice to Proceed (NTP) with construction of the Fogarty Substation was granted by the CPUC on February 8, 2011. Construction of Fogarty Substation began on May 17, 2011 and was substantially completed by January 2012. The NTPs for Fogarty Substation construction are provided here:
- NTP #5 (October 31, 2014)
- NTP #4 (March 13, 2013)
- NTP #3 (July 19, 2011)
- NTP #2 (April 28, 2011)
- NTP #1 (February 8, 2011)
NTPs #1, #3, #4, and #5 were for work at the Fogarty Substation site. NTP #2 was for work associated with Fogarty Substation’s telecommunications system that took place at SCE’s Valley, Elsinore, and Ivyglen substations.
Construction on NTP#5 is anticipated to be complete by June 1, 2015.
Environmental Impact Reports and Addendum
- Addendum to the Final Environmental Impact Report for the Valley-Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project (July 2014) (7 MB)
Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Project
Applications and Proponent’s Environmental Assessments
- Amended Application for the Combined Valley-Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation Projects (Filing Date: September 13, 2007)
Application for the Fogarty Substation Project
(Filing Date: April 30, 2007)
- Proponent’s Environmental Assessment for the Fogarty Substation Project (22 MB) (Filing Date: April 30, 2007)
Application for the Valley-Ivyglen Subtransmission
Line Project (Filing Date: January 16, 2007)
Environmental Assessment for the Valley-Ivyglen Subtransmission Line Project (52 MB)
(Filing Date: January 16, 2007)
- Appendices (33 MB)
- Proponent’s Environmental Assessment for the Valley-Ivyglen Subtransmission Line Project (52 MB) (Filing Date: January 16, 2007)
CPUC Application Proceedings Website
The CPUC’s proceedings website provides each of the CPUC ruling and decision documents associated with the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line and Fogarty Substation. The CPUC proceedings search website is available at: http://delaps1.cpuc.ca.gov/CPUCProceedingLookup. From the proceedings search website:
- For the Valley–Ivyglen Subtransmission Line proceeding, enter “0701031” in the Proceedings Number Search box.
- For the Fogarty Substation proceeding, enter “0704028” in the Proceedings Number Search box.
To request additional information or to be added to the mailing list, please contact us by email, fax, or phone, as follows:
Project email: VIG.ASP@ene.com
Project fax: 415-398-5326
Project voicemail: 855-277-9051 (toll free)
The CPUC’s Valley–Ivyglen Project Manager is:
Mr. Jensen Uchida, CPUC Project Manager
California Public Utilities Commission, Energy Division
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Tel.: (415) 703-5484
Fax: (415) 703-2200