There are a number of surcharges and taxes assessed on telecommunications services by the State of California, city and county governments, and federal agencies. These taxes and surcharges are collected by telecommunications carriers which then remit these funds as directed by the appropriate authorities.
CPUC Mandated Telecommunications All-End-User Surcharges
Revised November 18, 2016
* DDTP: This surcharge is designated "CA Relay Service and Communications Devices Fund."
The all-end-user surcharges are assessed on consumers' intrastate telecommunications services except for the following:
- Universal Lifeline Telephone Service (ULTS);
- Charges to other certificated carriers for services that are to be resold;
- Coin sent paid telephone calls (coin in box) and debit card calls;
- Customer-specific contracts effective before 9/15/94;
- Usage charges for coin-operated pay telephones;
- Directory advertising; and
- One-way radio paging.
The all-end-user surcharges are collected by the telecommunications carriers. They, in turn, remit the surcharges as directed by the Commission.
Prepaid Wireless Mobile Telephony Services (MTS) Surcharges effective January 1, 2016
The new MTS Surcharge Rates will be effective January 1, 2017.