Skip to: Content | Footer | Accessibility
Click for RSS Feed of PUC Website     |    Resizing Fonts

Filing a Language Access Complaint
Welcome to the California Public Utilities Commission
Skip Navigation LinksPUC > Consumer Information Center > File A Complaint About Your Utility Company

File A Complaint About Your Utility Company

You have a right to receive safe and reliable utility service, and help with questions or disputes. If you have a complaint about your CPUC-regulated phone, electric, natural gas, or water bill or service:

  • Call your utility at the number printed on your bill and discuss the problem with a utility representative.
  • If talking to your utility does not resolve the problem, you may ask the CPUC’s Consumer Affairs staff to investigate the issue by filing an informal complaint.

The Consumer Affairs Branch of the Commission can assist you with your telecommunications, energy, and water services complaints.



How to File a Complaint

Call your utility first.  If talking to your utility does not resolve the problem, you may contact the CPUC’s Consumer Affairs staff to investigate the issue by filing an informal complaint. 

To reach Consumer Affairs:

  • Phone:  800-649-7570 (assistance in any language)
  • TTY: 415-703-2032 (English or Spanish)
  • Electronic: Use the complaint form on the CPUC website
  • Write:
    • CPUC Consumer Affairs
      505 Van Ness Avenue
      San Francisco, CA  94102
  • Fax: 415-703-1158

If you file a complaint, we will need to know:

  • Your name
  • A daytime phone number where you can be reached
  • Your address and, if different, the service address
  • The phone number or account number of the service
  • The name of the utility
  • A description of the problem

File a Complaint Online


Moving Company & For-Hire Passenger Carrier Complaints

The CPUC has regulatory and safety oversight over railroads, light rail transit agencies, rail crossings, moving companies and for-hire passenger carriers (limousines, airport shuttles, charter and scheduled bus operators).

Authority over intrastate air carriers, for-hire vessel carriers, interstate passenger and household goods carriers, and intrastate private carriers of passengers, is limited to registration of operations and filing evidence of liability insurance.

Transportation of property, other than household goods, is regulated by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the California Highway Patrol. Such transportation requires a motor carrier permit from the DMV. To obtain the permit, please call the DMV at (916) 657-8153 or visit their web site at

Complaints Regarding Moving Companies and Passenger Carriers

  • To file a complaint about a moving company, please call us toll-free at 1-800-366-4782.
  • To file a complaint about a passenger carrier (limousine, charter bus, shuttle), please call us toll-free at 1-800-894-9444.
  • You may also e-mail or mail your complaints about moving companies and/or passenger carriers. Email to For U.S. mail, please fill out and send the appropriate form below to:
    • California Public Utilities Commission
    • Complaint Intake Unit - Transportation Enforcement Section
      Consumer Protection and Safety Division
      505 Van Ness Ave., 2nd Floor
      San Francisco, CA 94102-3298

Public Safety Complaint

Complaints Regarding Public Safety

If you notice a public safety problem – such as a dangling wire or a gas leak – dial 911 and report the problem. After your call, you also have the option to file a complaint with the CPUC.

To file a complaint concerning public safety of gas, electric, cable, phone and mobilehome parks utilities, such as live wires dangling from power poles, and gas leaks, please fill out a public safety complaint online or send a letter U.S. mail to: 

  • California Public Utilities Commission
    Utilities Safety Branch
    505 Van Ness Ave.
    San Francisco, CA 94102-3298 

Or, call us toll-free at 1-800-755-1447. For mobilehome parks please call 1-415-703-1126.

For all correspondence, please be sure to include:

  • Your name and the name the account is billed under (if different)
  • Service address
  • Mailing address and phone number 
  •  Name of the company you are complaining about
  • Address and telephone number of the company (if applicable)
  • The name of the company's representative you contacted (if applicable)
  • Your utility account number (if applicable)
  • A brief description of your complaint  (please limit your complaint to two pages or less)
  • You can also report unsafe conditions to the CPUC by calling the whistleblower hotline at 1-800-649-7570 or by email to

Contact Us

  • Phone: 800-649-7570 (assistance in any language)
  • TTY: 415-703-2032 (English or Spanish)
  • Write:
    • CPUC Consumer Affairs
      505 Van Ness Avenue
      San Francisco, CA  94102
  • Fax: 415-703-1158

About the CPUC

What is the CPUC?

The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) is a state agency created by Constitutional amendment to regulate privately owned telecommunications, electric, natural gas, water, railroad, rail transit, passenger transportation, and in-state moving companies. The CPUC is responsible for assuring California utility customers have safe, reliable utility service at reasonable rates, protecting utility customers from fraud, and promoting the health of California’s economy.

The Commission is comprised of a five-member board with a President.  Its members are appointed by the Governor and serve six-year staggered terms. Generally the board meets twice a month. The CPUC has a staff of approximately 850 employees.  CPUC headquarters are in San Francisco with field offices in Los Angeles, Sacramento, and San Diego.

Last Modified: 8/8/2014 

Visit the CalPhoneInfo website!