The CPUC regulates many of California’s privately-owned utilities and transportation companies. We can help you resolve billing, service, and safety issues with these companies.
For more consumer information, organized by industry, see the pages listed below:
- Energy: The CPUC regulates privately-owned electric and gas utilities, and promotes programs to help consumers improve their energy efficiency and lower their energy bills.
- Telephone: The CPUC regulates privately-owned telecommunications providers, and promotes programs to provide telephone service to low income families.
- Water: The CPUC regulates privately-owned water and sewer utilities, and promotes programs to help consumers conserve water and lower their water bills.
- Moving companies: The CPUC licenses and regulates companies that move household goods in California.
- Limos, shuttles, and buses: The CPUC licenses and regulates private “passenger carriers,” such as limousines, airport shuttles, and charter bus companies.
- The CPUC also regulates railroads and light rail, to ensure the safety of rail workers and the general public. Our Rail Safety work includes monitoring highway-rail crossings, ensuring light rail and cable car systems meet public safety requirements, and investigating rail accidents.
For more information about common questions and complaints, see Do You Have a Question or Complaint?