For your information, Commission Decision 94-10-031, (issued on October 12, 1994) established a wireless registration process for all Commercial Mobile Radiotelephone Services (CMRS) providers within California. The Commission has eliminated the Certificate of Public Necessity and Convenience (CPCN) for all CMRS providers. This policy change is a result of action by Congress in the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, which removed states authority to regulate entry and rates of CMRS providers effective August 10, 1994.
In lieu of the CPCN, the Commission now requires CMRS providers who did not hold a CPCN prior to August 10, 1994, and who intend to offer intrastate wireless telecommunications services within California, to file a Wireless Identification Registration containing the following information concurrent with undertaking such service. This information must be on company letterhead, type of service to be offered, and signed by at least one officer of the company.
1. The legal name of the business offering such service.
2. Any fictitious or other names under which such service will be offered.
3. The applicant's Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Federal Registration Number (FRN) and Universal Licensing System (ULS) wireless license call sign if facilities based registration is sought.
4. The local business address for the utility, if any.
5. The home office business address if different than the local business address.
6. The name and address of the designated agent for service of process.
7. Name, title, mailing address, e-mail address, and telephone number of the person to be contacted regarding the reported information.
8. The identity of the directors and principal officers of the business.
9. Names of all affiliated companies and their relationship, indicating if the affiliate is a regulated public utility.
10. Telephone numbers to which service or other customer complaints should be directed.
PLEASE SEND THIS INFORMATION TO:
California Public Utilities Commission
Wireless ID Registration (WIR)
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
The information should be filed with the Communications Division. Service can be commenced upon receiving the WIR number from the CPUC. You should receive a WIR number within a few days after the Commission receives the registration information.
Within 30 days of a change in the status of any of the information items listed above, the carrier shall notify the Communications Division of such change in writing at:
If you have questions or need further clarification please call Geraldine Carlin at (415) 703-2114.
Jack Leutza, Director