Universal service, a concept that basic telephone service be affordable and ubiquitously available to all members of society, is a longstanding cornerstone of the California Legislature and the PUC's telecommunications policy. In response to this commitment and in compliance with legislative mandates, we have created various public programs to achieve this goal including:
- California High Cost Fund-A (CHCF-A)
- California High Cost Fund-B (CHCF-B)
- California Advanced Services Fund (CASF)
- California Teleconnect Fund (CTF)
- Deaf & Disabled Telecommunications Program (DDTP)
- Public Policy Payphone Program (PPPP)
- California LifeLine Telephone Program (California LifeLine)
The Commission has also established various administrative committees, which function as advisory boards to the Commission regarding the development, implementation, and administration of their respective programs. These public programs are funded by surcharges assessed on end user's telephone bills. For more information on the surcharges, please click here: Surcharges/Taxes/Forms.
Rural Telecommunications Infrastructure Grant Program (AB 140)
On June 12, 2008, the CPUC made updates to its Public Programs in order to assist consumers and communities.
Draft Resolution T-17162 Comments-Requesting Party List