CPUC-CEC-CAISO LTPP/TPP Process Alignment (Diagram & Explanation)
2014 LTPP (R.13-12-10)
For access to the completed record of all documents, rulings and decisions related to the 2014 LTTP, open the R.13-12-010 docket card.
Key Rulings and Decisions
- December 23, 2014: Administrative Law Judge’s Ruling on Assumptions and Scenarios for 2015-2016 Proceedings
- May 14, 2014: CPUC Assigned Commissioner's Ruling (ACR) on Technical Updates to Planning Assumptions and Scenarios
March 18, 2014: Files related to February 27, 2014 CPUC Assigned Commissioner's Ruling (ACR) on Planning Assumptions, Scenarios, and RPS Portfolios
December 30, 2013: Original Order Instituting Rulemaking to open the Proceeding
June 6, 2014: Operational Flexibility Modeling Workshop #2 Materials:
April 24, 2014: Operational Flexibility Modeling Workshop #1 Materials:
December 26, 2013: Updated files from December 18, 2013 CPUC staff workshop on Planning Assumptions, Scenarios, and RPS Portfolios
- December 18, 2013: CPUC hosts workshop on Planning Assumptions, Scenarios, and RPS Portfolios
Updates to Load and Resources Table and Scenario Tool
Updates to RPS Calculator
2012 LTPP (R.12-03-14)
The 2012 LTPP was divided into four tracks. Track 1 (D.13-02-053) authorized procurement for reliability in two transmission constrained zones of Southern California: the Western LA Basin and Venture-Big Creek local reliability areas. The decision authorized 1400-1800 MW capacity in the West Los Angeles subarea, including 1000-1200 MW of conventional gas-fired resources, 50 MW of energy storage, and 150-600 MW of preferred resources. Track 2 was scoped to address issues of systems reliability and operational flexibility. A Commission decision closed this track, deferring the issues to the 2014 LTPP. Track 3 (D.14-02-040) established new long-term procurement planning rules. Track 4, which was scoped into the proceeding on May 16th, 2013, sought to address issues of reliability in Southern California following the closure of the San Onofre Nuclear eneration Station (SONGS). The Track 4 decision (D.14-03-004) was authorized an additional 500 to 800 MAW of procurement in SDG&E territory and 500 to 700 MW in SCE territory by the year 2024. Details of this authorization, including the breakdown by different resource types can be found in the ordering paragraphs of that decision.
For access to the complete record of all documents, rulings and decisions related to the 2012 LTPP, open the R.12-03-014 docket card.
Key Rulings and Decisions
- March 14th, 2014: Decision on Track 4 Authorizing Long-Term Procurement for Local Capacity Requirements following the closure of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Facility (SONGS).
- February 27th, 2014: Decision on Track 3 modifying Long-Term Procurement Rules.
- September 16th, 2013: Ruling on Cancelling Track 2 of the proceeding and modifying the schedule for Track 4.
- February 13th, 2013: Track 1 Ruling Authorizing Long-Term Procurement for Local Capacity Requirements in SCE Territory.
- May 21st, 2013: Revised Scoping Memo, scoping in Track 4 to assess Long-Term Procurement Need for Local Capacity following the closure of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS)
- May 16, 2012: Scoping Memo
Working Papers and Proposals
Scenario Tool Updates
- July 18, 2013: Updates to the LTPP Scenario Tool (removes SONGS from High DG / DSM & Replicating TPP cases)
- May 31, 2013: Updates to the LTPP Scenario tool (corrections + adjustments to Replicating TPP scenario in response to CAISO filing).
- September 27, 2012: Updated Scenario Tool and Matrix (XLSX)
- June 6, 2013: Updated RPS Calculators, correcting the NQC values and other updates. This zip file also includes the 2018 Base Scenario for LTPP Track 4.
- September 27, 2012: RPS Calculator Update (note, large XLS files)
- September 4, 2012: RPS Calculator Update (note, large XLSX files)
- May 21, 2012: Updated RPS calculator
- September 19, 2012: Agenda and presentation for Energy Division workshop on Operating Flexibility
- September 7, 2012: Presentations from the joint LTPP/Energy Storage workshop
2010 LTPP (R.10-05-006)
For access to the complete record of all documents, rulings and decisions related to the 2010 LTPP, open the R.10-05-006 docket card
Key Rulings and Decisions
- August 4, 2011: Joint ALJ Ruling on consideration of costs for GHG allowances.
- August 3, 2011: Parties filed a settlement motion for Track I.
- June 13, 2011: ALJ Ruling on schedule for Track I & III.
- June 10, 2011: ALJ Ruling on updated schedule and materials for Track I & III, along with the supplemental matrix.
- May 31, 2011: ALJ Ruling allowing some changes and denying others for the modeling of renewables integration.
- May 17, 2011: Preliminary System Track filings updated.
- May 5, 2011: D. 11-05-005, modifying CAM pursuant to SB 695.
- April 25, 2011: Original Bundled Plan Filings updated.
- February 10, 2011: ALJ Ruling on updated schedule and materials for Track I & III.
- June 22, 2010: ALJ issued rulings on Planning Standards (Part 2) - RPS & (Part 3) - EE.
- June 2, 2010: ALJ issued a ruling on the Procurement Rulebook.
- May 28, 2010: ALJ issued a ruling on Planning Standards (Part 1).
- May 6, 2010: Commission issued the R.10-05-006 OIR, including a Preliminary Scoping Memo. The OIR also closed R.08-02-007, the 2008 LTPP.
Original Bundled Plans
April 2011 (Public, Redacted Versions, PDF):
NOTE: The output module (Module), provides a list of the individual projects chosen for a given scenario. To use the module, it must be saved in the same folder as the Calculator. Do not open the Module. With the calcuclator open, adjust parameters on the Control Panel tab, as desired, and click the "Export Results to Output Module" button. The Module will open automatically, although it may take several minutes to perform the calculations and populate the Module.
- RPS Calculator + Output Module Version 1.4 (Feb 7 2011)
- Environmental Scoring Worksheets
- GHG Calculator
- CAISO OTC Load and Resource Scenario Analysis Tool (under implementation)
- January 12, 2011: IOUs held a tutorial on their 2006 bundled plans and direction of their 2010 bundled plans. Agenda available.
- January 7, 2011: ED staff hosted a training on the RPS calculator. Presentation available.
- November 30, 2010: ED staff hosted the third and final workshop on the CAISO's and PG&E's renewable integration model methodologies.
- October 22, 2010: ED staff hosted a second workshop on the CAISO's and PG&E's renewable integration model methodologies.
- August 24-25, 2010: ED staff hosted a workshop on the CAISO's and PG&E's renewable integration model methodologies.
- August 23, 2010: ED staff hosted a workshop on Convergence Bidding proposals offered by the IOUs and other parties. Agenda and presentations on parties' proposals available.
- July 26, 2010: ED staff hosted a technical presentation by the CAISO on Convergence Bidding. Agenda and presentations available.
- June 25, 2010: Workshop on Planning Standards (Part 3) - Energy Efficiency. Agenda and presentation available.
- June 18, 2010: Workshop on Planning Standards (Part 2) - Renewables. Agenda and presentations (part 1 & part 2) available.
- June 11, 2010: Workshops on Planning Standards (Part 1) and the Rulebook. Agenda and presentations available on Planning Standards and Rulebook. Alternative proposals were provided by: CAC, PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E.
Working Papers & Other Documents
Testimony and Studies related to Operational Flexibility
- Updated Presentations from May 10, 2011
For access to the complete record of all documents, rulings and decisions related to the 2008 LTPP, open the R.08-02-007 docket card.
Rulings and Decisions
- December 3, 2009: Assigned Commissioner's Ruling suspends the previously determined schedule of activities, and signals a split of the LTPP proceeding into separate system and bundled proceedings. It also signals the ongoing use of staff's RPS implementation analysis as an input to the 2010 LTPP system proceeding.
- July 1, 2009: Amended Assigned Commissioner's Scoping Memo (Amended Scoping Memo).
- August 28, 2008: Assigned Commissioner issued Phase I ACR/Scoping Memo, establishing the scope and schedule for resolving Phase I issues.
- February 20, 2008: Commission issued the R.08-02-007 OIR, including a detailed Attachment A: Preliminary Scoping Memo. In addition to establishing the preliminary scope, the OIR initiated collaboration between CEC and CPUC in this proceeding.
- December 10-11, 2009: Workshop on RPS planning in the LTPP. Presentation materials are linked: Agenda and slides (1.5mb PDF).
- August 7, 2009: A workshop was held on alternative proposals for LTPP planning standards. Presentation materials are linked: SCE and SDG&E Alternative Proposal Presentation and L. Jan Reid's Alternative Proposal Presentation.
- August 6, 2009: A workshop was held on the Staff Proposal for LTPP planning standards. Presentation available here.
- August 5, 2009: Energy Division Staff served Preliminary Staff Responses to Pre-Workshop Questions.
- July 21, 2009: Pre-workshop Questions filed in response to the July 1, 2009 Amended Scoping Ruling. Alternative proposals were filed by SCE and SDG&E and L. Jan Reid.
- June 30, 2008: Parties filed Pre-Workshop Comments. Parties comments can be found in the R.08-02-007 docket.
- May 21, 2008: Energy Division held a Workshop on Planning Standards. The IOUs described the contents of the Pre-Workshop Report on Planning Standards, and parties provided feedback. ED staff suggested, and parties agreed, to put further planning standards work on hold until the LTPP technical support consultant is hired. A workshop summary was later circulated to the service list.
Staff papers, Working Papers and Proposals
- July 1, 2009: The Energy Division Straw Proposal on LTPP Planning Standards (Staff Proposal) is filed in the proceeding, as an attachment Amended Scoping Memo, along with the final Best Practices Report with appendices and the Preliminary 33% RPS Report.
- June 12, 2009: Energy Division's 33% RPS Implementation Analysis: Preliminary Results report (Preliminary 33% RPS Report) is served.
- September 19, 2008: Energy Division discussion paper on environmental issues is served.
- October 3, 2008: Parties served responses to the Energy Division discussion paper on environmental issues in the LTPP. Individual party responses are available below: CARE, CE Council, CEERT, GPI, LSA & CalWEA, PG&E, SCE, SDG&E, and UCS.
- October 1, 2008: Parties served comments to the consultant's draft Best Practices Report. Individual party responses are available below: AReM, Constellation, PG&E, SCE, SDG&E, UCS/NRDC.
- September 7, 2008: Aspen/E3, Energy Division consultants, issued to the service list a draft report, Survey of Utility Resource Planning and Procurement Practices for Application to Long-Term Resource Planning in California (Best Practices Report), and requested comments by October 1, 2008.
- August 28, 2008: Energy Division hosted a workshop to initiate working group activities on Planning Scenarios and Metrics.
- October 31, 2008: Parties filed reply comments on MRTU issues: PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E.
- August 26, 2008: Energy Division hosted a workshop to kick-off the 33% RPS Implementation Staff Analysis. Workshop materials are available on the RPS Program Webpage.
- August 20, 2008: Parties served on the server list responses to the Planning Scenarios and Metrics Master Data Request. Individual party responses are available below: CAC/EPUC, CLECA/CMTA, CE Council, CEERT, DRA, GPI, PG&E, SCE, SDG&E, UCS.
- August 11, 2008: Energy Division issued a Data Request and Workshop Notice on Planning Scenarios and Metrics.
- August 5, 2008: Energy Division issued a Data Request for 33% RPS Implementation Analysis.
- July 23, 2008: IOUs issued a joint 2nd Draft GHG Program Inventory to the service list.
- June 6, 2008: ALJ issued a ruling soliciting pre-workshop comments pertaining to a July 10, 2008, GHG Uncertainty Workshop.
- January, 2008: R.05-12-013 Staff Recommendations on Capacity Market Structure.
The 2006 LTPP closed with Decision D.07-12-052. This decision approved the 2006 IOU procurement plans. Issues of process--the ways to conduct and reports on RFOs--were covered extensively. The decision found all three LTPPs were deficient and spotty in regards to addressing the filling their net short position with preferred resources from the EAP loading order and particularly inadequate in accounting for GHG emission reductions. In addition, the use of independent evaluators in evaluating solicitations was established. PG&E was authorized to procure 800 - 1,200 MW of new generation by 2015. SCE was authorized to procure 1,200 - 1,700 MW of new resources in addition to 305 MW remaining from its standard track RFO, D.06-07-029.
For access to the complete record of all documents, rulings and decisions related to the 2006 LTPP, open the R.06-02-013 docket card.
Rulings and Decisions
- December 20, 2007: Final Decision on 2006 LTPP.
- December 11, 2006: SDG&E, PG&E, and SCE filed their 2006 Long-Term Procurement Plans in R.06-02-013. The plans follow the outline provided in the LTPP Phase 2 Scoping Memo (See September 26, 2006 bullet below) and cover both (1) the procurement processes that each utility uses to conduct procurement, as well as (2) the long-term resource plan (2007-2016) that will guide procurement planning in the future. The 2006 Long-Term Procurement Plans are intended to replace all previous versions of Short-Term and Long-Term Procurement Plans. The public versions of the three 2006 Long-Term Procurement Plans are available.
- September 26, 2006: Cmmr. Peevey and ALJ Brown's Assigned Commissioner's Ruling and Scoping Memo on the Long-Term Procurement Phase of R.06-02-013. A pre-hearing conference and Energy Division workshop was held on October 12, 2006.
- July 20, 2006: Commission adopted D.06-06-029 which established a cost allocation methodology for new resource contracts.
- February 28, 2006: Pre-hearing conference held on new policies needed to support new generation.
- February 16, 2006: PUC adopted a new long-term procurement rulemaking.
- January 13, 2006: PUC issues proposal to establish a cap on greenhouse gas emissions.
- December 1, 2005: Decision adopted on expiring Qualified Facilities contracts.
- November 2, 2005: Proposed Decision issued on Community Choice Aggregation and Workshop set.
- October 31, 2005: Proposed Decision was issued on contract reallocation.
- September 9, 2005: Commissioner Grueneich issued a scoping memo in A.05-06-003. SCE asked permission to acquire up to 1500 MW of capacity through new power purchase agreements (PPAs).
- July 29, 2005: ALJ ruling issued which modified the interagency Confidentiality Agreement.
- April 25, 2005: Incentive mechanism post-workshop comments filed.
- April 2005: Procurement incentive workshop report released for public comment.
- March 25, 2005: PG&E, SCE and SDG&E submitted compliance filings, as ordered by D.04-12-048. The utilities provided updated information to their short-term and long-term procurement plans.
Long-Term Procurement Plan Advice Letters (Advice Letters, Public, Redacted Versions):
December 11, 2008, Original Long-Term Procurement Plans (Public, Redacted Versions):
Theses links are to files, some in excess of 20MB)
- Pacific Gas & Electric
- Southern Califonia Edison
- San Diego Gas & Electric
- November, 2007: Energy Division hosted a workshop on Qualifying Facilities
- May 21-25, 2007: The PUC held Procurement Processes and Repowering/AB 1576 Workshops.
- December 19-21, 2006: Energy Division hosted three workshops to publicly present and discuss the 2006 Long-Term Procurement Plans of SDG&E, PG&E, and SCE. The presentations from the three workshops are available.
- December 18, 2006: Energy Division hosted a workshop to discuss the revised and new proposals related to the Energy Auction process. The presentations from the workshop are available.
- November 1, 2006: Energy Division hosted a workshop on Energy Auction proposals, in support of the Long-Term Procurement Proceeding Phase 2, Track 1. The investor-owned utilities (IOUs) gave a presentation on their Energy Auction proposal, and Western Power Trading Forum also gave a presentation on alternative auction product ideas.
- October 18, 2006: Laura Doll gave a presentation on the status of resource adequacy and long-term procurement to the Platt's CA Energy Markets Conference in San Francisco.
- October 12, 2006: Energy Division hosted a workshop where SDG&E, SCE, and PG&E made preliminary presentations and answered questions about their upcoming long-term procurement plan (LTPP) filings.
- June 21, 2006: Workshop in R.0604009 to address Phase 1 threshold policy and implementation issues for an interim greenhouse gas performance standard.
- April 2006: Presentation - Status Report: Resource Adequacy and Long Term Procurement Planning.
- March 14, 2006: A workshop was held to discuss the proposals related to the need for new policies to support new generation, under R.06-02-013. Presentations and proposals were filed by parties: CPUC Introduction, Aglet, AReM, California Cogen Council, Calpine, CARE, CEC (Electricity Analysis Office, Kevin Kennedy), Constellation, Davis Hydro & Northern CA Small Hydro Association, DRA, Goldman Sachs, Good Company TAS, IEP, Joint Proposal of SCE, PG&E, NRG, AES, TURN (Proposal, Presentation), Mirant, PG&E, SCE, Sempra Global, West Coast Power, WEM, WPTF
- August 2006: Presentation - Status Report: Resource Adequacy and Long Term Procurement Planning.
- December 14, 2005: Two workshops set to discuss the upcoming long term procurement proceeding and the transmission planning collaboration proposal of the CPUC, California Energy Commission, and California Independent System Operator. Proposals for discussion in the two workshops are covered in more detail in an Assigned Commissioner Ruling (ACR) issued on December 2, 2005.
- December 9 & 14, 2005: Workshops held on December 9 and December 14, 2005 to prepare for 2006 Long Term Procurement Plan filings in January/February 2006.
- March 7-9, 2005: Procurement incentive workshops were held.
- May 31, 2007: Energy Division issued its Final Consultant Reports on Utility Energy Procurement Transactions Audit for SCE, SDG&E and PG&E for audit year 2005.
- February 22, 2007: Energy Division issued its Final Consultant Report on Credit & Collateral Requirements.
- February 21, 2007: Energy Division issued its Final Consultant Reports on Utility Energy Procurement Transactions Audit for SCE, PG&E and SDG&E for audit year 2004.
- February 2006: PUC to set cap on greenhouse gas emissions produced while generating electricity.
- September 2006: Energy Division prepared a background briefing on Resource Adequacy and Long-Term Procurement Policies.
- August 25, 2005: Capacity Markets Whitepaper issued.
- Parties filed comments on the Capacity Markets Whitepaper: AReM, CAISO, Calpine, Constellation, CUE, Delft Tech, DENA, DWR, EnerNOC, EOB, IEP, Mirant, MSCG, ORA, PG&E, Powerex, SCE, SDG&E, Sempra Global, SVLG, TURN (Comments, Appendix A, Appendix B, Appendix C), West Coast Power, Williams Power
- Parties also filed reply comments: Calpine, CLECA/CMTA, Constellation (Comments, Attachment 1, Attachment 2), CUE, DENA, IEP, Mirant, ORA, PG&E, SCE, Sempra, TURN (Comments, Appendix A, Appendix B)
- December 16, 2004: Commission adopted D.04-12-048. Decision adopted the utilities' long-term procurement plans that were filed in July 2004, allowing for greater head-to-head competition and provided guidelines on all-source solicitations, resolved cost recovery issues, and began integrating renewables procurement with general procurement.
- January 22, 2004: Commission adopted D.04-01-050. The decision addressed long-term procurement policy issues for PG&E, SCE and SDG&E. Major issues included resource adequacy and reserve requirements, market structure, financial capabilities, long-term planning assumptions and guidance, and confidentiality.