CPUC staff ensure that highway-rail crossings are safely designed, constructed, and maintained.
The Rail Crossings Engineering Section (RCES) engineers investigate and evaluate requests to construct new rail crossings or modify existing crossings. They also investigate train-related incidents that occur at rail crossings, and complaints regarding rail crossings safety or conditions. RCES engineers are assigned to territories by county and are available to help you find answers to your rail crossing questions.
- Contact the Rail Crossings Engineering Section
- Contact RCES engineers regarding diagnostic meetings with roadway authorities and railroads, and to assist in review and authorization of rail crossing designs
- Construction or modification of a rail crossing
- Rules and Regulations
- Information about a rail crossing
- Funding for railroad crossings
- Overview of crossing funding programs (Section 130, Section 190, and Maintenance Fund)
- Train Horns at Railroad Crossings
- Quiet Zones establish limitations on the sounding of railroad train horns at crossings
- CPUC Annual Report: Rail Crossings Engineering Section