How Does the CTF Discount Work?
The CTF discount is 50% off the monthly recurring charges, excluding usage fees, of eligible services.*
Overview of the CTF Discount process:
- An organization submits a CTF application to the CPUC.
- The CPUC reviews the application and sends the organization an Approval, Rejection or Deficiency Notification.
- If approved, the organization informs its CTF participating service provider of discount eligibility by providing a copy of the Approval Notification. *
- The service provider gives the approved organization a 50% discount on the monthly recurring charges, excluding usage fees, of eligible services.**
- After providing the discount, the service provider files claims for reimbursement with the CPUC to recoup the discounted amounts.
- The CPUC reviews the claims for reimbursement, and issues the appropriate payments to the service provider.
Also see Administrative Letter No. 9 for the revised method for calculating discounts for less than a one month period.
For community based organizations, the CTF program also administers a discount on installations charges, with certain rules and contingencies.
* For a newly approved applicant, the discount begins (retroactively) on the date the CPUC received the application, provided the approved applicant contacts its service provider within 30 days of receiving the Approval Notification. The date the CPUC received the application is noted as “Date Filed” on the upper right hand corner of the Approval Notification. If the newly approved applicant contacts its service provider after the 30-day period, the discount begins on the date of contact.
** For some organizations, including all schools and libraries, the 50% discount applies to only the balance remaining after an actual or statewide average E-Rate discount. For the California Telehealth Network, the CTF discount of 50% discount applies to only the balance remaining after funding provided by the Federal Communications Commission's Rural Health Care Pilot Program. For more information about how the CTF discount works in conjunction with E-Rate and other funding sources, click here.
Click here to go back to the CTF homepage.