The Electric Generation Safety and Reliability Section (EGSRS) engineers regularly visit power plants and inspect unit(s) involved in a forced or scheduled outage that curtails production capacity by 50 MW or greater. An onsite inspection allows EGSRS engineers to gain first-hand knowledge of outage activities at a plant. For outage inspections, a staff engineer follows the procedure below:
- Check plant status - review daily status report from the Generating Asset Owner (GAO) and real-time outage reports from CAISO’s Scheduling Logging for the ISO of California (SLIC) database.
- Contact the plant to arrange the inspection date and time.
- Conduct an onsite inspection – interview plant personnel, find out the cause of the outage and estimated return to service, examine failed parts or equipment, observe repair work, review applicable records or data.
- Request copies or files of documents, such as operator logs, generator chart, photos of failed parts or equipment, etc.
- If necessary, follow up to verify that the cause of the outage has been addressed.
- Write an internal report using the inspection form