Water Conservation Information
The Commission is committed to supporting and encouraging both Water and Energy Conservation in California. On this page, you will discover numerous fun and easy ways for you and your family to Conserve Water!
Water Conservation Tips
- Install water-saving devices: You can save water by installing low-flow showerheads, high-efficiency toilets, and kitchen/bathroom faucet aerators. Check with your utility – you may be able to get these devices at a discount, or for free.
- Take shorter showers: Reduce your shower by 1 – 2 minutes and save 5 gallons!
- Turn water off while brushing your teeth: Save 3 gallons!
- Fix leaky faucets: Save up to 20 gallons/day!
- Wash a full load of laundry: Save 15 – 50 gallons per load!
- Broom instead of Hose: You can save as much as 100 gallons of water by cleaning your driveway by sweeping instead of using the hose .
- Water before 8 a.m.: You can save about 25 gallons each time you water, by watering before 8 a.m. – watering early reduces evaporation and puts that water to work helping your plants grow .
- From Lawn to Xeriscape (low water use landscaping): Switch your garden from turf to drought tolerant plants, and reduce your household water use by more than 30% (http://www.allianceforwaterefficiency.org/Xeriscape_Water_Savings.aspx ).
Links to other sources of water conservation information.