The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) has initiated a rulemaking (R.08.-12-009) to consider policies for California investor-owned electric utilities to develop a smarter electric grid in the state. The proceeding will consider setting policies, standards and protocols to guide the development of a smart grid system and facilitate integration of new technologies such as distributed generation, storage, demand-side technologies, and electric vehicles.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (“Recovery Act”) was signed into law by President Obama on February 17, 2009 (P.L.111-5). The Recovery Act allocates $4.5 billion to the Department of Energy’s Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability. These “Smart Grid” funds are to be used to develop a nationwide plan to modernize the electric grid, enhance security of U.S. energy infrastructure and ensure reliable electricity delivery to meet growing demand.
May 1, 2013: Electric Utility Customer Information Privacy Reports, as required by D. 11-07-056
Oct. 2012: Smart Grid Annual Deployment Plan Updates (R.08-12-009)
Oct. 1, 2012: CPUC Acts to Ensure Consumer and Market Benefits from Smart Meters
Sept. 19, 2012: CPUC Grid Planning and Reliability Policy Paper: Cybersecurity and the Evolving Role of State Regulation: How it Impacts the California Public Utilities Commission
April 19, 2012: CPUC Acts to Ensure Effectiveness of Smart Grid
December 2011: 2011 Smart Grid Annual Report
July 28, 2011: CPUC Adopts Rules to Protect the Privacy and Security of Customer Electricity Usage Data
July 22, 2011: Commissioner Florio held an All-Party Meeting regarding the Decision Adopting Rules to Protect the Privacy and Security of the Electricity Usage Data of the Customers of PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E.
December 2010: 2010 Smart Grid Annual Report
June 24, 2010: CPUC Launches Plan to Modernize Electric Grid
Feb. 8, 2010: CPUC Ruling requesting that parties submit comments pertaining to proposed policies and findings concerning the Smart Grid that fall into three broad areas.
December 29, 2009: CPUC Decision adopting policies and findings to fulfill the regulatory obligations imposed on states by the Energy Information and Security Act of 2007’s amendments to the Public Utilities Regulatory Policies Act.
September 10, 2009: CPUC Expedites Review Process for Smart Grid Funding Under Recovery Act
Hearings and Events
Jan. 15-16, 2013: Energy Data Workshop
Previous Hearings and Events
January-February 2012 Public Workshops
- The CPUC held four days of workshops on Smart Grid issues in January and February 2012. We have posted presentations made by attendees.
Dec. 12, 2011: Smart Grid Workshop, CPUC Auditorium
Sept. 9, 2011: Pre-hearing Conference on SDG&E Smart Grid Plan (A.11-06-006, A.11-06-029, A.11-07-001)
Oct. 25-26, 2010, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 a.m.: Smart Grid Workshop (R.08-12-009)
- Video Webcast (Day 1 only)
- This workshop addressed issues related to the creation of rules to allow for an authorized third-party to access a customers’ electric usage information and any associated privacy protections that should be implemented.
Sept. 28-29, 2010: NIST/CPUC Co-Sponsored Event on Cyber-Security and Privacy in the CPUC Auditorium at 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco. Both days were video webcast.
- March 17-19, 2010, 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.: Public Workshop on Smart Grid technologies pursuant to Federal Legislation and on the CPUC's own motion to actively guide policy in California's development of a Smart Grid system.
- July 31, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Regulatory Approach (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
- July 15, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Electric Vehicles (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
- June 26, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Transmission and Energy Storage (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
- June 5, 2009, 10 a.m.: Workshop on Smart Grid: Distribution (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., S.F.
- May 27, 2009: Workshop on Smart Grid: Consumer Issues (R.08-12-009), CPUC, 505 Van Ness Ave., S.F.
- April 21, 2009: Smart Grid Symposium
- March 27, 2009: Smart Grid Pre-Hearing Conference and Smart Grid Workshop
California Energy Related Recovery Programs: