California Public Utilities Code allows certain individuals or groups that participate in proceedings before the California Public Utilities Commission involving electric, gas, water, and telephone utilities to request compensation for the costs associated with that participation.
Compensation is available through a program administered by the CPUC referred to as the Intervenor Compensation Program.
The Intervenor Compensation Program Guide and Instructions on Completing Intervenor Compensation Standardized Forms (Guide) is intended to help you understand the requirements you must meet to be eligible for an award of intervenor compensation. The Guide identifies filings that are needed to be made in order to establish eligibility to ultimately claim compensation, and provides step-by-step instructions on completing these filings. Standardized Forms and Sample Documents are included.
Intervenor Compensation Program Guide and Instructions on Completing Intervenor Compensation Standardized Forms
Different aspects of the Intervenor Compensation Program have been addressed in the following decisions and resolutions:
- Decision D.98-04-059 provides important guidelines for intervenors that intend to request intervenor compensation.
- Decision D.06-12-041 explains amendments to rules of CPUC’s Rules of Practice and Procedure concerning procedures to request intervenor compensation.
- Resolution Resolution ALJ-184 adopts annual process for setting hourly rates to use in calculating compensation awards to intervenors.
- Decisions D.05-11-031, D.07-01-009, and D.08-04-010 provide guidelines for setting intervenor hourly rates for the years 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- Resolutions Resolution ALJ-235 and Resolution ALJ-247 adopt intervenor rates for the years 2009 and 2010, respectively.
- Resolution ALJ-267 adopts intervenor rates for 2011.
- Resolution ALJ-281 adopts intervenor rates for 2012.
- Resolution ALJ- 287 adopts intervenor rates for 2013 and addresses related matters
We also publish a list of the Intervenor Hourly Rates (Alphabetical).
Assistance to Intervenors
PUBLIC ADVISOR’S OFFICE
The CPUC’s Public Advisor's Office helps the public participate in formal CPUC proceedings and may be able to assist you with your questions about the Intervenor Compensation Program. Please note, the Public Advisor’s Office does not provide legal advice.
Please direct questions to:
505 Van Ness Avenue, Room 2103
San Francisco, CA 94102
866.849.8390 (toll free)
Administrative Law Judge Division
Documents formally filed with the CPUC’s Docket Office related to the Intervenor Compensation Program are assigned to the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) Division. The ALJ Division Legal Assistant is available if you have questions on procedures and practices related to this Program.
Icomp Program Analyst
Intervenor Compensation Program
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102