Attention: Alarm and Security Service/Equipment Providers
To ensure a continuing supply of telephone numbers, the 657 area code will be added to the area served by 714. The new 657 area code will serve customers in the same geographic region as the current 714 area code, which includes the communities of Anaheim, Brea, Buena Park, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, La Habra, La Mirada, La Palma, Orange, Placentia, Santa Ana, Westminster, and Yorba Linda. This is known as an area code overlay.
What is an area code overlay?
An overlay is the addition of another area code (in this case 657) to the same geographic region as an existing area code (714). An overlay does not require customers to change their existing area code.
How does this affect providers of alarm and security services and equipment?
As a result of the overlay, a new dialing procedure requires callers to dial 1 + area code + telephone number. This means that all calls in the 714 area code that are currently dialed with seven digits will need to be dialed using 1 + area code + telephone number.
Alarm and security services and equipment currently located in the 714 area code and programmed to dial only seven digits must be updated or reprogrammed to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for all calls in the 714/657 area code.
When will the change take place?
- Effective February 23, 2008, customers should begin using the new dialing procedure (1 + area code + telephone number) when placing calls from the 714 area code. If customers forget and use the old dialing procedure of dialing just seven digits, calls will still be completed.
- Beginning August 23, 2008, customers must use the new dialing procedure for all calls. After this date, if customers do not use the new dialing procedure, calls will not be completed, and a recording will instruct them to hang up and dial again.
- Reprogramming of alarm equipment should take place between February 23, 2008 and August 23, 2008. This period allows either the old or new dialing procedure to be used to complete calls. All alarm service providers must make their programming changes during this period.
- To enable you to verify that equipment can complete calls to the new area code, a special test number will become available on June 23, 2008. This test number, (657) 222-0222, will remain active through December 22, 2008.
- Starting September 23, 2008, new telephone lines or services may be assigned numbers with the new 657 area code, and it will be necessary to dial 1 + area code + telephone number for all calls within the 714 and 657 area codes.
What will remain the same?
The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay, and what is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed. Customers can still dial just three digits to reach 911, as well as 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 and 811.
Questions about the dialing procedure change should be directed to your local service provider.
The 714 Public Education Committee in cooperation with the California Public Utilities Commission