Skip to: Content | Footer | Accessibility
Click for RSS Feed of PUC Website     |    Resizing Fonts

Filing a Language Access Complaint
Welcome to the California Public Utilities Commission
Skip Navigation LinksPUC > Consumer Information Center > Make a Payment Plan

Make a Payment Plan

If you have fallen behind on your energy, telephone, or water bills – or if you are afraid you might – the CPUC may be able to help you negotiate a payment plan. 
  • First, you need to contact the utility directly, using the utility customer service phone number printed on the front page of your bill.  Be sure to have a complete copy of your bill in front of you.
  • If you cannot resolve the problem after talking with a utility representative, please call us at: 1-800-649-7570.  We can walk you through the process of negotiating a payment plan, and connect you with someone from the utility who can help.

Please be aware that the CPUC regulates privately owned electric, natural gas, telephone, water, and sewer utilities.  Unfortunately, we cannot help you resolve issues with publicly owned or municipal utilities, such as SMUD or the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.

For more information on how the CPUC can help you resolve issues, please see Do You Have a Question or Complaint?

For More Information:


Last Modified: 12/8/2010

Visit the CalPhoneInfo website!