The salary for the General Counsel is $10,493-11,650 monthly. You will receive attractive retirement benefits, quality medical, vision, and dental insurance and a flexible working environment that accommodates the demands of family life. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 401(k), 457, pension, transit subsidies, optional long-term disability and legal services, and training opportunities. The Commission is headquartered in the historic Civic Center District next to San Francisco’s City Hall, and close to BART and MUNI.
California Public Utilities Commission
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Please submit resumes to Human Resources Director Liza Dougherty by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 505 Van Ness Avenue, Room 3008, San Francisco, CA 94102.
Questions about this position should be directed to Ms. Dougherty, either by email or phone at 1-415-703-5885.
After the final filing date, all resumes will be reviewed and candidates will be contacted regarding further steps in the selection process.
Who May Apply:
Applicants must have active membership in The State Bar of California before they will be eligible for appointment.
Additionally, the position requires 7 years experience in the practice of law, which includes at least 5 years in a supervisory or management capacity with responsibility for attorneys’ work products. At least 3 years of the 7 must be either:
- In the field of public utility regulations; or in the preparation and presentation of public utility proceedings before public utility regulatory agencies or the courts; or
- In the legal fields of energy, telecommunications, water, natural resources and environment, antitrust and trade law, transportation, consumer protection, law enforcement, litigation, or appellate advocacy; or
- In representation in administrative proceedings before local, State, or Federal regulatory agencies or before the courts.
This position serves at the pleasure of the Commission.
The General Counsel represents and appears for the people of the State of California and the Commission in all actions and proceedings of the Commission. The attorney shall:
- Commence, prosecute, and expedite the final determination of all actions and proceedings directed or authorized by the President, except as otherwise directed or authorized by vote of the Commission,
- Advise the Commission and each Commissioner, when so requested, in regard to all matters in connection with the powers and duties of the Commission and the members thereof,
- Generally perform all duties and services as attorney to the Commission that the President, or vote of the Commission, may require of him or her.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties of the General Counsel are:
- Provides leadership to Legal Division;
- Plans, organizes, directs and reviews the Commission’s legal work;
- Confers with and advises the Commission, individual Commissioners, and staff members on the application of regulatory statutes to Commission policies, powers, duties, precedents, and procedures;
- Confers with and advises the public and officials and representatives of political subdivisions, public utilities, and carriers with respect to legal rights and obligations in connection with regulatory problems;
- Attends Commission meetings for consideration of policies and specific actions;
- Serves as counsel at certain Commission hearings;
- Independently conducts or supervises the conduct of litigation and intervention proceedings in Federal and State courts and before Federal agencies which involve the highest degree of importance or complexity;
- Prepares and recommends Commission orders;
- Analyzes and drafts proposed legislative measures and Commission regulations;
- Analyzes records and applications for rehearing and recommends actions and orders relating thereto;
- Serves as member of executive leadership team of the Commission;
- Selects, trains and evaluates the performance of personnel, and takes appropriate personnel actions;
- Directs the preparation of divisional budget requests and the execution of the approved budget; and
- Coordinates the work of the Legal Division with that of other divisions of the Commission