Skip to: Content | Footer | Accessibility
Click for RSS Feed of PUC Website     |    Resizing Fonts

Filing a Language Access Complaint
Welcome to the California Public Utilities Commission
Public Utilities Commission 505 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco, CA 94102

ALJ Division

Skip Navigation LinksPUC > About CPUC > Divisions > ALJ Division > About the ALJ Division

Administrative Judges

Karen Clopton, Chief Administrative Law Judge

Karen Clopton,
Chief Administrative Law Judge

The Administrative Law Judges Division supports Commission decision-making by processing formal filings, facilitating alternative dispute resolution, conducting hearings, developing an adequate administrative record, preparing timely proposals for Commission consideration, and preparing and coordinating Commission business meeting agendas.

Administrative Law Judges/STAR: Approximately 42 judges, trained as attorneys, engineers and accountants, hear cases and develop an evidentiary record for the Commission. The STAR unit provides clerical support to the judges during the proceedings and assists with publication of decisions. To contact a judge or to inquire about the progress of a case, please call (415) 703-2008.

Docket: This office receives and processes all formal filings before the Commission, maintains the official record of hearings and documents within a proceeding, and prepares the Commission's daily calendar. For questions about documents filed in a case, call (415) 703-2121 or send e-mail to

Process: This office prepares the agendas for the Commission's deliberative and business meetings and maintains service lists for formal proceedings. For questions about service lists, call (415) 703-2021.

Central Files: This office maintains the formal record of a proceeding and provides printed copies of documents to the public for a fee. To obtain copies of printed documents, please use our on-line form or email Central Files at  For further information, call (415) 703-1661.

Reporting: This office records and transcribes the hearings held in formal proceedings. To obtain copies of transcripts, call (415) 703-2288 or send e-mail to

Alternative Dispute Resolution:  Learn about the success of the Commission's ADR program.


Last Modified: 2/14/2011

Visit the CalPhoneInfo website!