Beginning the summer of 2009, there was concern expressed by consumers over high electricity bills that occurred in the San Joaquin Valley area around the same time that Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) installed Smart Meters there. In response, the CPUC has selected a contractor to conduct an independent evaluation of PG&E's Smart Meters Meter.
- Sept. 2, 2010: The Structure Group's Independent Assessment of PG&E's Advanced Metering
- Sept. 2, 2010: The Structure Group, a consultant retained by the CPUC to independently evaluate PG&E Smart Meters and billing systems, will present a summary of its findings and release its report at the CPUC’s business meeting on September 2, 2010.
- May 13, 2010: Press Release on Start of Field Testing by Structure
- March 30, 2010: Press Release Announcing Selected Independent Contractor
- Oct. 14, 2009: CPUC calls for independent evaluation of PG&E Smart Meters in San Joaquin Valley.