In December 2010, the CPUC opened Rulemaking R.10-12-007 to set policy for California utilities and load-serving entities (LSEs) to consider the procurement of viable and cost-effective energy storage systems.
Under terms of state law embodied in AB 2514 (Skinner), by October 1, 2013, the CPUC shall adopt an energy storage procurement target, if determined to be appropriate, to be achieved by each LSE by December 15, 2015, and a 2nd target to be achieved by December 31, 2020.
In addition, the CPUC should consider a variety of possible policies to encourage the cost-effective deployment of energy storage systems, including refinement of existing procurement methods to properly value energy storage systems.
In October 2013, the CPUC adopted an energy storage procurement framework and established an energy storage target of 1,325 megawatts for PG&E, Edison, and SDG&E by 2020, with installations required no later than the end of 2024.
→ Read the Decision
→ Read the press release
- February 28, 2014: IOUs submitted new applications and testimony for their 2014 Procurement Plans
- Pacific Gas and Electric (A.14-02-007)
- Southern California Edison (A.14-02-009)
- San Diego Gas & Electric (A.14-02-006)
2012 Recent Activities
- December 4, 2012: Workshop on Policy Options for Energy Storage
- December 3, 2012: Workshop on Use Case Development
October 16, 2012: Workshop on Development of Energy Storage Use Cases
September 24, 2012 Workshop on Cost/Benefit Models for Energy Storage Use Cases
September 7, 2012: Joint Workshop for Storage and LTPP Proceeding (R12-03-014)
- August 20, 2012: Staff Workshop on Scoping Issues for Phase 2
- Phase 1 Final Staff Report: Energy Storage Framework
- June 28, 2011: Electric Energy Storage Workshop
- Featured Presentations:
- Staff Talking Points:
- Discussant Presentations:
- Workshop: March 9, 2011
Useful Background Documents
- Leading the Energy Transition FactBook, SBC Energy Institute (September 2013)
- Electric Energy Storage: An Assessment of Potential Barriers and Opportunities, CPUC Policy and Planning Division white paper, (July 2010)
- The Power of Energy Storage, Ethan Elkind, UC Berkeley School of Law's Center for Law, Energy & the Environment, and UCLA School of Law's Environmental Law Center & Emmett Center on Climate Change and the Environment (July 2010)
- 2020 Strategic Analysis of Energy Storage in California, California Energy Commission (November 2011)
- Distributed Energy Storage: Serving National Interest, DNV KEMA (April 2012)
- Economic Analysis of Deploying Used Batteries in Power Systems, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (June 2011)