MRTU - As the name suggests, the California Independent System Operator’s (CAISO), Market Redesign and Technology Upgrade (MRTU) is an initiative to upgrade the efficiency of energy dispatch and improve the current wholesale electricity market system through new market features and advanced computer software technology. The CAISO, charged with managing California’s electricity grid and is regulated by the FERC, is planning to implement MRTU in the first quarter of 2009. MRTU is intended to:
1. enhance wholesale market efficiencies through use of a more accurate grid model,
2. provide more transparent prices for the generation and delivery of energy,
3. enhance electric reliability by coordinating with the CPUC’s Resource Adequacy program, and
4. prevent market manipulation by market participants.
The CPUC closely coordinates with CAISO management and staff towards ensuring that new market design elements do not impede the CPUC’s goals of assuring the long-term reliability of California’s energy supply, expanding reliance upon renewable resources and demand response, and maintaining just and reasonable rates for ratepayers. Specific approaches to support these goals are in the upper right-hand box.
More information on MRTU is available at: http://caiso.com/docs/2001/12/21/2001122108490719681.html.
The CPUC Filings: Highlights
17. MRTU/CPUC Notice of Intervention to FERC/April 10, 2006/FERC Docket No. ERO6-615