Interested applicants must submit an ONLINE JOB APPLICATION and a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ). Applicants who do not submit completed SOQ with their application will not be given further consideration.
If you need assistance completing the application, you may ask the Human Resources staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (855) 663-0222.
Questions concerning this position should be directed to Antranig Garabetian Antranig.email@example.com or (213) 576-5778.
The application will require a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) which must address the candidate’s experience and qualifications in the “Required Experience/Qualifications” section of this bulletin, as they relate to the duties and responsibilities of the position outlined below. The SOQ shall be in 11 point, Arial font, no longer than three (3) typewritten pages. Candidates will be rated on the content of their statements as well as their written communication skills. If a candidate submits more than three pages, only the first three pages of the SOQ will be evaluated. The content of the SOQ should provide the reviewers with sufficient details and specific examples for each of the topic areas under the “Required Experience/Qualifications” area of this bulletin to demonstrate the candidate’s ability to serve as a Senior Utilities Engineer (Supervisor) in the Rail Crossings Engineering Section of the Rail Transit and Crossings Branch. Statements of Qualifications will be evaluated using standardized rating criteria to select the candidate that is most qualified for the position. If needed, hiring interviews may be held to select the successful candidate.
Please note that all information provided is subject to verification. For each of the topic areas discussed in the SOQ, please include the name(s) and phone number(s) of supervisor(s) and/or manager(s) who are knowledgeable with your work and may be contacted for verification.
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applicants who are eligible for lateral transfer (defined in SPB Rules 430-433*), list appointment, voluntary demotion, reinstatement or other State Civil Service eligibility under SPB rules will be considered. To become “list eligible” for consideration, interested candidates must successfully pass a civil service exam. Applicants currently on an SROA list or employed by a surplus department in a specific classification designated as surplus will be given primary consideration.
Possession of a current valid California Professional Engineer License required.
In addition, eligible candidates must complete the Criminal Record Supplemental Questionnaire form which will be sent by Human Resources after the final filing date and a background check may be required.
*Copies of SPB Rules 430-433 are available in the Human Resources Office.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the general direction of a Program and Project Supervisor, Senior Utilities Engineer (Supervisor) in the Rail Crossings Engineering Section (RCES) plans, assigns, organizes and directs the work of a small group of engineers and other professional staff responsible for regulation of highway-rail crossing safety. The incumbent: 1) participates in establishing and implementing the mission, goals, objectives and priorities of the Safety and Enforcement Division and RCES; 2) trains staff, assigns and reviews work, evaluates work performance, and coordinates the activities of the group on a daily basis; 3) performs the more difficult and complex engineering tasks and coordinates the work of the section’s engineering staff in evaluating and processing applications, investigating accidents, conducting grade crossing safety studies and performing field engineering inspections, evaluations and diagnostic reviews; 4) participates in investigations and hearings and provides expert testimony related to rail crossing safety before the Commission and other investigative forums; 5) advises and recommends appropriate action to the RCES Supervisor on matters affecting the regulation of safety of rail crossings; 6) researches and makes recommendations for revisions in the Public Utilities Code, Commission General Orders, and Division, Branch and RCES procedures and participates in federal rulemaking proceedings; 7) represents the Commission staff in meetings with the railroads, rail transit agencies, local governmental agencies (or other applicants), technical and professional standards organizations, industry groups, other state Commissions, citizen groups and the various government agencies through participation in conferences and committees pertaining to the work of RCES; 8) participates with RCES Supervisor on administrative matters, including analysis of proposed legislation, preparation of Budget Change Proposals and RCES reports. Additionally, incumbent will be expected to travel overnight, occasionally for several days at a time; and/or drive over 100 miles on short notice or during unusual hours. Possession of a valid California Driver's License, Class C required.
A successful candidate must possess strong oral and written communication skills and demonstrate knowledge of and experience in:
- Project management, team leadership, and/or supervisory experience demonstrating ability in planning, organizing, coordinating and directing the work of others;
- Strong organizational skills and experience in systems thinking, strategic planning, and establishing goals, objectives and priorities; organizing and executing effectively around priorities to meet deadlines;
- Working in a regulatory environment with safety-related policies and programs, interpreting and implementing complex federal and state safety regulations, researching, analyzing and revising Commission General Orders and staff procedures to accomplish objectives and meet goals;
- Analyzing situations accurately, taking initiative and adopting effective courses of action;
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively relate to all staff levels, establishing and maintaining positive working relationships, setting a good example of professional behavior and personal conduct, including work ethic, for team members;
- Excellent writing and editing skills preparing written testimony/reports/presentations, including the ability to draft clear, concise, well organized letters, memoranda, reports and justifications;
- Ability to communicate verbally with technical personnel, non-technical personnel, and professionals and articulate opinions on complex issues clearly and effectively; and
- Proficiency in various Microsoft applications (Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project).