The following references assist in the development of rail crossing projects. Please note that these references may not be entirely consistent with CPUC policy. CPUC General Orders set the minimum requirements for all crossings in the state. Contact the CPUC Rail Crossings Engineering Section for clarification.
Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- 2012 California MUTCD is the applicable standard for traffic control devices in the state. This applies in California; it is an amended version of the national MUTCD published by FHWA.
- Part 8 (PDF) is specific to Traffic Control for Rail and Light Rail Transit Crossings
- Other parts:
- Part 1 includes important general information
- Part 4 includes information about traffic signals
- Part 6 includes information about temporary traffic control at rail crossings
FHWA Crossing Handbook
- FHWA Grade Crossing Handbook (web or PDF) is a core reference regarding rail crossing safety
Caltrans Design Standards
The State of California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) publishes design requirements for design of roadways under state jurisdiction. Local roadway authorities often use similar standards.
Rail Crossing Engineering Plans
The 2 largest commuter railroads in the state publish excellent plans that include details about ways to design for both vehicular and pedestrian safety at a rail crossings. Please note that CPUC General Orders set the minimum requirements for all crossings in the state, and all rail crossing construction or modification must be authorized by CPUC.
- Caltrain (Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board)
- Metrolink (Southern California Regional Rail Authority)