CPUC is the State agency charged with ensuring the safety of freight railroads, inter-city and commuter railroads, and highway-railroad crossings in the State of California. CPUC performs these railroad safety responsibilities through the Railroad Operations and Safety Branch (ROSB) of the Safety & Enforcement Division.
ROSB’s mission is to ensure that California communities and railroad employees are protected from unsafe practices on freight and passenger railroads by enforcing rail safety rules, regulations, and inspection efforts; and by carrying out proactive assessments of potential risks before they create dangerous conditions. ROSB personnel investigate rail accidents and safety related complaints, and recommend safety improvements to the Commission, railroads, and the federal government as appropriate.
ROSB currently has 36 certified Inspector positions. Inspections are divided into five railroad disciplines:
Operating Practices – oversight of main, branch and yard train operations, including hours of service, carrier operating rules, employee qualification guidelines, and carrier training and testing programs to determine compliance with railroad occupational safety and health standards, accident and personal injury reporting requirements, and other requirements
Track – oversight of track construction, maintenance and inspection activities
Signal & Train Control – oversight of signal system construction, maintenance and inspection activities
Motive Power & Equipment – oversight of locomotives, freight and passenger rail cars, air brakes, and other safety appliances maintenance and inspection activities
Hazardous Materials – oversight of the rail movements of hazardous materials, such as petroleum and chemical products; and inspection of hazardous materials shippers
- ROSB Investigations and Inspections
- Overview and statistics of ROSB investigations and inspections
- California Railroad Incidents
- Number of railroad accidents, incidents, injuries, and fatalities
- 2012 Annual Railroad Safety Activity Report to the Legislature
- 2011 CPUC Annual Report: Rail Operations
- Highlights of ROSB activities
- 2012 Annual Railroad Local Safety Hazard Report
- 2011 Annual Railroad Local Safety Hazard Report
- ROSB Regulatory Authority, Rules, and Regulations
- Rules and regulations about railroad safety and security
- Other Resources
- Web links to other sites of interest, including federal agencies, state agencies, railroad corporations, unions, and miscellaneous organizations (e.g., trade associations and research centers). Listings do not imply endorsement by CPUC.