General Order 95
Detailed Construction Requirements for Communication Lines
(Class C Circuits)
87.10 Fiber Optic Cable Transitions
A. Non-dielectric Fiber Optic Cable Transitions
(1) Transitions of non-dielectric fiber optic cables between the supply level and communication level, or between one supply level to another supply level, shall occur on a single supporting structure.
(2) Non-dielectric fiber optic cables transitioning from a supply level to a communication level, or from one supply level to another supply level, shall be treated in accordance with Rule 54.6-D, 1, 2, 3, and 5, at the supply level and transitioning to or through (e.g., vertical runs or risers) another level. When such cable is suitably protected, there is no minimum clearance from centerline of pole or from other conductors except such cables shall not be installed in the climbing space.
EXCEPTION: Non-dielectric fiber optic cables transitioning on metallic structures may be grounded in-lieu of protective covering or covered in accordance with Rule 54.6-D, 1 through 6. Uncovered, grounded, non-dielectric fiber optic cable transitions in vertical runs on metallic structures shall maintain minimum clearances in accordance with Rule 38, Table 2, Case 16a.
(3) Splices and splice enclosures on non-dielectric fiber optic cable transitions shall meet the requirements for equipment of Rule 54.4-G.
B. Dielectric Fiber Optic Cable Transitions
(1) Dielectric fiber optic cable facilities may transition from the supply level to the communication level between supporting structures. When transitioning in this manner, these facilities shall:
a) Not pass by or through communication facilities; and,
b) Be attached (or terminated) at the uppermost communication level.
(2) Dielectric fiber optic cable facilities may transition from one supply level to another supply level between supporting structures. Facilities transitioning in this manner shall not transition more than one level between supporting structures.
Note: Added January
13, 2006 by Decision No. 05-01-030.