Hiring a Moving Company

Moving your home can be a hectic, stressful experience whether you're moving across town or many miles away. The California Public Utilities Commission regulates household goods movers that operate within California with the goal of achieving a safe and professional move. We have compiled information to help you with your move that we hope you find useful. We also suggest that you check to see whether your potential moving company is licensed with the Commission before you contract with the company by calling us at 800-877-8867. If you have a complaint about your move that you cannot resolve with the mover, call us at 800-366-4782 to file a complaint.


How to Use This Document

To view information on a topic listed in the Table of Contents or Index pages, simply click on the link and the information will appear in this frame.  Clicking on the closed book icon will drop down all of the subtopics included (click the open book to show only the main topic name).  Once you've entered one of the topic areas, use the navigation links above to switch from the Table of Contents to the Index and to move from topic to topic.


Throughout the document, definitions of frequently-used terms and acronyms are available in pop-up boxes by clicking on the links associated with the terms (for this reason, you may want to disable any pop-up stopper software).  A "glossary" of these terms is also available as link in the Table of Contents .