How to Choose a Mover

Most licensed moving companies are listed in the classified telephone directories, newspapers and other local advertising.  When consulting written advertisements, avoid contacting movers who do not show their license number (Cal-T), which is issued by the PUC. Such carriers are probably not licensed or insured against loss or damage. 

You may want to ask friends who have recently moved if they can recommend a moving company.  Additionally, some realtors may advise you based upon their customers’ experiences.  Carrier associations, business groups, chambers of commerce and consumer organizations may also be a source of information. 

Once you have the names of possible moving companies, you may call the PUC at 1-800-FON-4PUC (1-800-366-4782) to determine whether the carriers are licensed and insured and whether the PUC has issued informal citations or taken formal legal actions against the carriers.  You should also get written estimates to compare the prices and services of different moving companies to help you select a carrier.

Be sure to obtain the complete and correct moving company name, Cal-T number (PUC license number), address and telephone number of the carrier you select to move your belongings. Keep the carrier informed as to how and where you may be reached at all times until the shipment is delivered.


Rates and Charges