This material is designed to give you the information necessary to ensure a well-planned, uncomplicated move.  Throughout this document you will be referred to as “you” or the “shipper.”  The moving company will be called either the “carrier” or the “mover.”

The PUC has rules governing how much the mover can charge you for its services.  The specific government rules, regulations and the rate limitations for moves within California are provided in the PUC’s Maximum Rate Tariff 4.  A copy of the Maximum Rate Tariff 4 and all forms and documents used by the mover can be examined at either the mover’s place of business or the PUC offices:


San Francisco

Los Angeles

San Diego

505 Van Ness Ave.

320 W. 4th Street, Ste. 500

1350 Front St., Rm 4006


In addition, you may call 1-800-FON-4PUC (1-800-366-4782) for information on the maximum rate program.

California moves require much paperwork.  You should read all forms and be sure they are completely filled out before you sign.  Always get a copy of everything you sign.

If you have a problem about a move within California that you and the carrier cannot resolve, please call the nearest PUC office or 1-800-FON-4PUC (1-800-366-4782).


How to Choose a Mover