Moving Companies

Household goods moving companies obtain permits from the PUC after showing financial and safety fitness. They must also prove to the PUC that they have adequate insurance and they are subject to criminal background clearance by the California Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation.

See the Moving Companies: Consumer Information Center.

Before You Move!

  • Search through our list of moving companies (list also includes passenger carriers, vessel carriers and private carriers) to determine whether the company has an operating permit with us and whether it is insured, the headquarters of the company, and more!
  • Call us to find out if the company you're considering hiring is licensed!  The toll-free telephone number is 1-800-877-8867.
  • Review our Moving Tips and Warnings fact sheet.
  • Read our Mover's Guide with information to help you with your move.
  • Resolution TL-19117, amending Maximum Rate Tariff 4 effective January 15, 2015.
  • Read about ongoing and past  CPUC investigations of moving companies.

Problems With Your Move?

If you have a billing or service problem with a moving company, and talking with the company does not resolve the problem, you can file a complaint with the CPUC.  For more information and detailed instructions for filing a complaint, please see our Moving Company Complaint web page.

Need Information on Starting or Operating a Moving Company?

Immigration Guide