Skip to: Content | Footer | Accessibility
Click for RSS Feed of PUC Website     |    Resizing Fonts

Filing a Language Access Complaint
Welcome to the California Public Utilities Commission
Skip Navigation LinksPUC > Transportation > Transportation


The Commission has regulatory and safety oversight over for-hire passenger carriers (limousines, airport shuttles, charter and scheduled bus operators), moving companies, railroads, light rail transit agencies, and rail crossings.

Authority over intrastate air carriers, for-hire vessel carriers, interstate passenger and household goods carriers, and intrastate private carriers of passengers, is limited to registration of operations and filing evidence of liability insurance.

Transportation of property, other than household goods, is regulated by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the California Highway Patrol. Such transportation requires a motor carrier permit from the DMV. To obtain the permit, please call the DMV at (916) 657-8153 or visit their web site at

The CPUC also regulates the services and rates of vessel common carriers. These are privately owned companies that transport passengers or property by vessel between California points.  The majority of the approximately 20 licensed operators conduct ferry services on San Francisco Bay or provide cross-channel transportation between Southern California mainland points and Santa Catalina Island.

Passenger Carriers, including Vessels

Licensed Carriers

Information For Companies

Insurance Information (Passenger and household goods carriers)



Last Modified: 8/24/2015

Visit the CalPhoneInfo website!