Consumer FAQ on DR Providers (also known as Aggregators) 

Electricity customers in California have the choice to participate in DR programs provided by independent commercial entities, called “demand response providers” or “aggregators”. This page contains a Q&A for customers considering working with a DR provider.


Q: What is a Demand Response Provider (DRP) or aggregator?

A: A DRP/aggregator is a commercial entity that provides demand response services such as assisting retail customers with strategies or technology to reduce their electric consumption and then making the electric load reductions as a ‘bid’ in wholesale energy markets. Some entities focus entirely on working with customers to reduce their electric consumption and paying incentives for their reductions. Such entities are often referred to as “aggregators” and will have commercial arrangements with other entities that specialize in interfacing with the wholesale market. The wholesale-facing entities are called Demand Response Providers (DRPs). Some entities will handle both retail and wholesale transactions. The bidding of retail customers’ load reductions in wholesale markets is often referred to as “Direct Participation”.


Q: Is there a difference between participating in a DRP/aggregator program and participating in the utilities’ DR programs?

A: The general concept in either scenario is basically the same: electric retail customers will be called upon by the utility or the DRP to reduce their electric demand on certain days within certain hour(s), and in exchange for that reduction, the customer can receive a financial incentive. The terms and conditions for participation and incentives will vary, and electric retail customers should fully inform themselves of those details before they enroll in any demand response program. On the wholesale side, the utilities and DRPs will be bidding in the demand response, although not all DR programs are designed to be bid into wholesale markets at the moment.



CPUC Registered Non-Utility
Demand Response Providers

Contact Information

Residential or
 Small Commercial Customers?

Service Territory

EnergyHub, Inc.

Erika Diamond, VP & GM of Energy Markets
(347) 244-3323
232 3rd Street, C201,
Brooklyn, NY 11215



OhmConnect, Inc.

Matthew Duesterberg, CEO
(844) 646-2664
350 Townsend St., Suite 210,
San Francisco, CA 94107



Stem, Inc.

Cecilia Zhou, Senior Program Manager
(415) 937-7836 (phone)
(415) 373-0484 (fax)
100 Rollins Road,
Millbrae, CA 94030



IPKeys Power Partners, LLC

Robert Nawy, Managing Director and CFO
(732) 982-3145
12 Christopher Way, Suite 301,
Eatontown, NJ 07724



Olivine, Inc.

Robert Anderson, Chief Technology Officer
(888) 717-3331
2010 Crow Canyon Place, Suite 100,
San Ramon, CA 94583



Engie Storage Services NA LLC
formerly, Green Charge Networks LLC

Michael Laine, Client Relationship Director
(408) 669-4277 ext. 1014
4151 Burton Drive,
Santa Clara, CA 95054



Chai, Inc.

Joseph Cole Hershkowitz, CEO
(310) 261-7289
525 S Hewitt Street,
Los Angeles, CA 90013



Electric Motor Werks, Inc.
DBA eMotorWerks, Inc.

Kris Kluzak, Customer Support Lead
(844) 584-2329 ext. 3
(888) 478-8257 
846 Bransten Road,
San Carlos, CA 94070



AutoGrid Systems, Inc.

Jason Huang, Director, Industry Solutions
(866) 652-5889
255 Shoreline Drive, Suite 350,
Redwood City, CA 94065



Advanced Microgrid Solutions, Inc.

AMS Customer Care
(415) 638-6146
25 Stillman St.
San Francisco, CA 94107



EDF Trading North America, LLC

Nathan Mancha, Director Demand Response
(281) 653-1782
4700 W. Sam Houston Pkwy N., Ste 250,
Houston, TX 77041



NRG Curtailment Solutions, Inc.

Nick Colca, Customer Care Manager
(716) 906-5136
4433 Genesee Street, Suite 401,
Buffalo, NY, 14225



Sunrun Inc.

Sunrun Customer Care
(855) 478-6786
595 Market Street, Suite 3900,
San Francisco, CA 94105



Tesla, Inc.

Eliah Gilfenbaum, Market Analysis & Energy Optimization
(650) 681-5331
3500 Deer Creek Road,
Palo Alto, CA 94304



Leapfrog Power, Inc.
DBA Leap.

Remco van den Elzen, Chief Operating Officer
(415) 490-8782
25 Taylor St.
San Francisco, CA  94110



Enerwise Global Technologies, Inc.
DBA CPower

Eric Ring, Supervisor
(925) 433-2165
1001 Fleet Street, Suite 400
Baltimore, MD  21202



Shell Energy North America, L.P.

Marcie Milner, Vice President, Regulatory
(858) 526-2106
4445 Eastgate Mall, Suite #100
San Diego, CA 92121



Trane Grid Services LLC

Chad Singer, Technical Leader
(502) 214-9333
10200 Forest Green Blvd., Suite 601
Louisville, KY 40223



Enel X North America Inc.

Meghan Hester, Manager of Regulatory Compliance
(410) 343-7221
One Marina Park Drive, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02210



Updated as of 2/15/2019







Q: Does the CPUC have rules for DRPs/aggregators?

A: Yes. The rules for DRPs/aggregators cover a variety of topics many of which are described in more detail below. One of the main rules is that DRPs/aggregators that serve utility bundled customers must register with the CPUC.


Q: Where can I find the DRP/aggregator rules?

A: These rules are referenced as Rule 24 in PG&E’s and SCE’s tariffs and as Rule 32 in SDG&E’s tariffs.


Q: Where can I find a list of DRPs/aggregators registered with the CPUC?

A: All DRPs/aggregators enrolling bundled utility customers must have a valid registration with the CPUC. Customers should confirm a DRP/aggregator is properly registered with the CPUC prior to signing a contract for DR services from a DRP/aggregator. A list of registered DRPs/aggregators can be found below: 


 Q: Can a customer enroll with a DRP/aggregator and a utility DR program?

A: Generally no. A customer typically may not enroll with a DRP/aggregator while also enrolling in a utility DR program. There are some exceptions. The DRP/aggregator or utility would inform the customer if it cannot proceed with a dual enrollment.


Q: What are the rules on access to my meter data?

A: Accessing a customer’s meter data is a critical requirement for direct participation DR. All DRPs/aggregators must obtain customer approval in order to access the customer’s electric usage data and other personal information regarding the customer’s service account. The customer’s consent is provided through its utility’s Authorization or Revocation of Authorization to Disclose Customer Information to a Demand Response Provider (CISR-DRP form)

The customer may obtain the CISR-DRP form from its utility or DRP/aggregator. The CISR-DRP form also allows the customer to revoke, at any time, any previously granted authorization, subject to any early termination provisions specified in the contract between the DRP/aggregator and customer.

The CISR-DRP form provides the customer with options to authorize its DRP/aggregator to access to meter data, including for a specified period of time or indefinitely, until revoked by the customer. If the customer makes no election, its utility will assume that the customer authorization is for an indefinite period of time. With customer permission, its DRP/aggregator may also act as its agent to automatically revoke data transmittal on the customer’s behalf upon disenrollment from DR Service.

It is important to know that when discontinuing DR Service with a DRP/aggregator, it will be the customer’s responsibility to REVOKE authorization to STOP the transmittal of its energy usage data and other previously authorized personal information from its utility to the DRP/aggregator.


Q: What are CPUC policies on customer privacy?

A: Once a customer authorizes disclosure of its electricity usage data and other personal information to a DRP/aggregator, the DRP/aggregator is required to maintain the privacy and security of that data, subject to the Commission’s privacy policies. The CPUC’s privacy policies can be found in Decisions (D.) 11-07-056


Q: What if I have a complaint against a DRP/aggregator or my utility? What can I do?

A: Customers have the option to file a complaint or action at the appropriate civil court or agency. They may also file a formal complaint, informal complaint, or seek alternate dispute resolution (ADR) at the CPUC regarding the DR Services.

For up-to-date information on filing an informal complaint, please visit the Consumer Affairs Branch.

Formal Complaint: 

Through the Formal Complaint procedure, the Commission can order the DRP to take corrective action, including reimbursements for non-payment of performance. It is important to note, however, that the Commission is not allowed to award damages for such things as personal injury, property damage, emotional distress, or loss of wages or profits. To request compensation for damages, the customer must file a claim in a civil court.

Privacy Notice:

Whether or not your Formal Complaint is filed in paper form or electronically, Formal Complaints filed with the Commission become a public record and may be posted on the CPUC’s website. Therefore, any information you provide in the Formal Complaint, including, but not limited to, your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, email address and the facts of your case may be available on-line for later public viewing.

A formal complaint must be filed at the Commission. If you need help with or have any questions about filing your formal complaint, contact CPUC’s Public Advisor's Office or visit our formal complaints information page..

The Public Advisor
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
866-849-8390 (toll free)

For detailed instructions on the filing of an informal or formal complaint can be found on our website.  


Q: What is Alternative Dispute Resolution Program (ADR)?

ADR commonly describes processes, such as facilitation, negotiation, mediation, and early neutral evaluation to help disputants resolve a conflict without a formal decision by a court or agency. When successful, ADR may achieve results that a court or agency could not order, give the parties more ownership in the result, and reduce litigation and agency costs.

The Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) Division administers the ADR program and trained, experienced ALJs serve as neutrals in the program.

ADR can occur at any time during a formal proceeding. The early use of ADR saves parties time and money and avoids unnecessary escalation of a dispute. On occasion, ADR may be available to help resolve disputes that are still informal and have yet to be filed as formal complaints. Most ADR sessions are completed in ½ to 2 days. Some ADR sessions continue over several weeks, with the parties meeting for a day or two at a time.

For additional information visit our Alternative Dispute Resolution Program page


Useful Contact Information 

California Public Utilities Commission

Consumer Affairs Branch Hotline
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Call 800-649-7570 (toll free) or 415-703-4973


Energy Division

Immigration Guide