• Consumer Affairs Branch

    The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulates privately owned California utilities that provide energy, water, and telecommunications services. If you have a question or complaint concerning one of these utility providers, help is available through the Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB).

    CAB's team of representatives is ready to assist consumers with billing and service matters with regulated utilities. Through dedicated specialists, CAB assists consumers in resolving application denials (appeals) for the California LifeLine program participation.

    In addition, via the Telecommunications Education and Assistance in Multiple-Languages (TEAM) and Community Help and Awareness of Natural Gas and Electric Services (CHANGES) Programs, managed by CAB, the CPUC provides services to Limited English Proficient (LEP) consumers with telecommunications and energy issues by focusing on three service components – consumer education, complaint resolution, and program outreach. Assistance is provided statewide through community-based organizations that work with LEP consumers in their preferred language and with cultural sensitivity.

    File A Complaint

    To submit a complaint or learn more about the complaint process, please visit the CPUC's complaints page.



  • Graphs2

    CAB Reports and Data

    CAB processes informal contacts according to the issue(s) involved and the regulatory authority of the CPUC.    

  • Useful Information

    Need Help Icon


    Frequently Asked Questions

    California Lifeline Logo

    LifeLine Appeal Process

    Appeal a LifeLine Program participation denial

    Resources Image 47x46 Transparent


    Resources to obtaining help with your utility bill

Immigration Guide