Approved TE Investments
In 2014, the CPUC approved three pilot programs for the installation of charging infrastructure for light-duty vehicles (passenger vehicles). These programs were implemented by PG&E, SCE, and SDG&E providing charging infrastructure at destination centers like sports arenas, malls, etc., vehicle fleets e.g., municipal vehicles, multi-housing dwellings such as apartment buildings, and workplaces. A total of $202 million were authorized to install up to 10,000 ports of which 8,563 have been energized. Information on these programs can be found here: PG&E's EV Charge Network, SCE's Charge Ready Pilot, SDG&E's Power Your Drive Pilot. This table summarizes key aspects of these three pilot programs.
After the passage of Senate Bill (SB) 350 (de Leon, Chapter 547, Statutes of 2017) in 2015 the CPUC authorized million for IOU infrastructure investments to largely support medium- and heavy-duty EVs such as semi-trucks, transit and school buses, fleet delivery trucks, and airport and seaport equipment. There were also $32 million worth for program evaluation budgets approved. For additional information see SB 350 programs. The Priority Review Programs, are shorter in duration (approximately one -two years), and each utility has a $20 million limit for their portfolio budget; and each program within this portfolio must be less than $4 million. The net budget for these is $50.3 million. Most of these are now complete and their evaluation report and data can be found here (SB 350 programs). The Standard Review Programs have a larger budget and duration. Most of these programs focused on medium- and heavy-duty charging infrastructure and one for DC fast charge with a net budget of $724 million. Currently, PG&E, SCE and Liberty Utilities are the ones implementing these programs.
In 2019, the CPUC authorized $54.5 million for PG&E, SCE, SDG&E, and Liberty Utilities to install approximately 940 ports at schools and parks and beaches pursuant to AB 1082 and AB 1083 (Burke, 2017). Between 25 and 100 percent of these installations will be in disadvantaged communities, depending on each utility’s program. The four IOUs have started the initial process for implementing the pilots in early 2021.
- SCE: Charge Ready Schools Pilot and Charge Ready Parks Pilot
- SDG&E: Power Your Drive-schools, parks and beaches
- PG&E: EV Schools and Parks Program
- Liberty Utilities: School/State Park Charging Program
More recently, two additional programs were approved to provide charging infrastructure for light-duty passenger vehicles. A $436 million Charge Ready-Light-duty program was approved in 2020 for implementation by SCE to install 37,428 Level 2 and 205 DCFC ports and $43.5 million program Power Your Drive Extension authorized SDG&E to install 2,000 ports. The CPUC continues to accept and review applications for future TE investments. The chart below provides a summary of investments in various sectors. In response to SB 676, the IOUs can be authorized up to $38.7 million for vehicle-to-grid focused pilot programs starting 2022-2023.
Of the approximately 55,500 ports authorized for light-duty passenger vehicles more than 13,000 have been energized to date. For medium- and heavy-duty sectors including on-road and off-road nearly 300 ports have been energized and of the 371 DCFC public ports authorized 14 have been energized.
The Electric Program Investment Charge (EPIC) supports the development of non-commercialized new and emerging clean energy technologies in California and provides assistance to commercially viable projects. The California Energy Commission administers 80 percent of the funds collected, and the three IOUs administer the remaining 20 percent. Several EPIC projects are related to vehicle-grid integration.
Demand Response Pilots
PG&E and SCE implemented “demand response” pilots for electric vehicles developed in accordance with D.12-04-045. Demand response (or DR) is when customers change their electricity usage (typically reducing use or shifting use to other times in the day) at certain times in response to economic incentives, price signals, or other conditions.
Department of Defense Vehicle-to-Grid Pilot
SCE partnered with Los Angeles Air Force Base from late 2015 to September 2017 to conduct a vehicle to grid (V2G) pilot program that allowed its electric vehicle fleet to send power back to the electric grid. The vehicle batteries acted as storage, charging when power was cheapest – typically midday when renewable energy generation peaks – and discharge energy back to the grid when there were supply constraints. The fleet of 34 electric and hybrid vehicles served as a storage resource participating in the California power market. Throughout the pilot, which was funded by the California Energy Commission and the U.S. Department of Defense, SCE provided L.A. Air Force Base a specific vehicle-to-grid (V2G) rate.
The final pilot report can be found here.