Federal Funding Account Priority Areas
Priority Areas Overview
The Federal Funding Account, administered by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), provides $2 billion in grants for last mile broadband infrastructure projects to connect unserved and underserved Californians. In Decision 22-04-055, the CPUC directed the creation of priority areas.
Each priority area was designed to support a sustainable business case for applicants based on network engineering design and modeling. The priority areas were developed with the most granular data available when program rules were adopted and will be updated as new data becomes available. Learn more about the development of the priority areas with these resources:
Priority Areas Fact Sheet: A summary explanation of how the priority areas were created and next steps.
- California Broadband Analysis– Federal Funding Account Priority Areas: Explains the methods and process of creating the priority areas.
Priority Areas Portal
The Priority Areas Portal includes an interactive map that shows the priority areas developed for the Federal Funding Account. The priority areas published in this release are a subset of all the eligible unserved areas in the State.
- Priority Areas Public Map should be used by grant applicants to plan last mile broadband project grant proposals for the Federal Funding Account.
- Priority Areas Data and an associated Data Dictionary are available to download.
- Census Block Level Data is also available.
- Map User Guide provides an overview of how to use the Priority Areas Public Map to view information and provide comments on the priority areas.
- Video for Using the Priority Areas Public Map demonstrates how to use the public map including how to add public comments and view layers.
Priority Areas Public Feedback
Members of the public, including public entities and communications providers, are welcome to contribute feedback on the priority areas. Public comments can be made directly on the map by clicking on an area, then clicking on the "Add Comment" button, and filling out and submitting the feedback form.
The CPUC will provide information regarding the Federal Funding Account application process, important dates, and additional mapping tools. The CPUC will release an application tool that will allow applicants to select unserved locations and priority areas for funding and submit the project area to the CPUC as part of their grant application.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Check out the FAQs document on the priority areas.
- California Broadband Investment Model 2022: Explains the underlying investment modeling used for the priority areas.
- Appendix A of CPUC Decision 22-04-055: See Section 2.1 for rules on the priority areas.