• Public Safety Complaint

    If you notice a public safety problem related to gas, electric, cable, telephone, water, or mobile home park utilities – such as a dangling wire or a gas leak – dial 911 and report the problem.   After your call, you also have the option to file a complaint with the CPUC. 

    The fastest way to file a complaint is using the online complaint form.  

    Please be aware that the CPUC cannot help you resolve issues with:  

    • Publicly owned or municipal utilities, such as SMUD or the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
    • Federal, city, or county taxes and surcharges on your bills
    • Long-distance telephone, cable TV, cellular phone rates, paging, or Internet rates and services

    The CPUC also cannot award claims for damages, or help you determine a utility’s alleged negligence or liability.  If you cannot resolve this type of problem with the utility directly, you can file a claim in civil court.

    If you do not want to file your complaint online, you can send us a written complaint letter.  Be sure to include:


    • Your name
    • The name the account is billed under (if it is different than your name)
    • Your mailing address
    • The service address (if it is different than your mailing address)
    • The name of the utility or company
    • The name of the utility or company’s representative you contacted (if applicable)
    • A brief description of the problem (no more than two pages)
    • Daytime phone number where you can be reached
    • The phone number or account number of the service (if applicable)

    You can mail your written complaint to:

    CPUC Utilities Safety Branch
    505 Van Ness Avenue
    San Francisco, CA  94102-3298

      For all other public safety complaints, you can call us at 1-800-755-1447. 

    For more information on how the CPUC can help Consumers resolve issues, please see Do You Have a Question or Complaint?

Immigration Guide