• Transportation Licensing

    The CPUC administers safety oversight and enforcement of moving companies and passenger carriers (limousines, shuttles, etc.).

  •    ALERT!

    Someone claiming to be from the CPUC is contacting carriers applying for a new license that have applications pending; the caller requests to charge $5 over the phone via a carrier’s credit card to verify information pertaining to their application. This is a scam. Once the filing fee and application is filed the CPUC does not solicit for extra funds to complete the application.
  • Passenger Carriers

    Passenger carriers (limousines, airport shuttles, charter and scheduled bus operators, and others) obtain permits or certificates after providing financial responsibility and safety information to the PUC, including evidence of liability insurance and a California Highway Patrol safety inspection.

    Moving Companies

    Household goods moving companies obtain permits from the PUC after showing financial and safety fitness. They must also prove to the PUC that they have adequate insurance and they are subject to criminal background clearance by the California Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation.

    Transportation Network Companies

    Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) hold charter-party carrier (TCP) permits to provide prearranged transportation services for compensation using an online-enabled application or platform (such as smart phone apps) to connect passengers with drivers using their personal vehicles.

    Transportation Enforcement

    The CPUC takes enforcement action against moving companies and passenger carriers. Information on cases and Current Investigations can be found online.
  • Image of man answering a telephone call

    Looking for Consumer Information?

    The CPUC regulates privately owned electric, natural gas, telephone, water, and sewer utilities. Unfortunately, we cannot help you resolve issues with publicly owned or municipal utilities, such as SMUD or the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.

    Visit the Consumer Information Website