E-file a Document
The Electronic Filing (E-Filing) System allows you to file documents in formal proceedings at the California Public Utilities Commission from your office using a web-based application.
NOTE: If you need to make a Transportation Insurance E-Filing, please click here.
You can search and retrieve documents that have been electronically filed. If you are interested in following a particular proceeding or industry or type of document, check out the Commission's proceeding Subscription Service.
In addition to formal pleadings, the electronic filing system will now allow parties to also submit supporting documents such as testimony, work papers, workshop reports, and other material. In specific proceedings, the Administrative Law Judge will direct the parties to submit supporting documents. These documents are informal and are not part of the record of the proceeding unless they are accepted into the record by the Administrative Law Judge.
Please read the disclaimer before submitting any supporting documents. Instructions for using the supporting documents feature and an explanation of the naming conventions for supporting documents are also provided.
Before you start E-Filing you need:
- An e-mail Account to receive communications about your filing.
- An Internet connection. The faster your connection (DSL, cable, etc.) the better.
- A web browser. In Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome can be used.
- For the Macintosh, Safari, Firefox or Chrome are recommended.
- A program able to create PDF/A compliant documents. Adobe Acrobat 7.0 (or higher version) of Professional works. SCANNING DOCUMENTS IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED!
- Copy of the Rules of Practice and Procedure for the e-filing rules (Rule 1.13).
Please note that you still need to perform service of your document on the service list consistent with Rules 1.9 and 1.10 of the Rules of Practice and Procedure. You should NOT submit a paper copy to the Commission's Docket Office if you e-file. Upon acceptance of your document for e-filing, you will receive an email notifying you that it has been accepted and providing you with a link to where it is posted.
Comments / Questions?
Please give us your feedback on your experience using the Commission's E-Filing System.
Need HELP? Please email us at Efile-help.
Public Advisor's Office
1-866-849-8390 (Northern California)
1-866-849-8391 (Southern California)
California Public Utilities Commission
Public Advisor's Office
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA, 94102