Marybel Batjer, President
Marybel Batjer was named President of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) on July 12, 2019, by Governor Gavin Newsom and sworn in on August 16, 2019. On December 30, 2020, Governor Newsom reappointed her as President. Her term ends January 1, 2027.
President Batjer previously served as the first Secretary of the California Government Operations Agency. In this role, she led forward-looking efforts to revamp the way the state approaches data and technology, modernized the civil service system, and led the implementation of key initiatives to green state government and promote renewable energy.
Before heading the Government Operations Agency, Batjer was Vice President for Public Policy and Corporate Social Responsibility at Caesars Entertainment Inc., where she developed and promoted corporate social responsibility policy and initiatives and counseled the senior executive team during a public merger on issues pertaining to reputation management and public policy.
Batjer also served as Cabinet Secretary to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger from 2003 to 2005, Chief of Staff to Nevada Governor Kenny Guinn from 2000 to 2003 and Undersecretary at the California Business, Transportation and Housing Agency from 1997 to 1998.
Batjer's successful and collaborative management style has gained her the respect of leaders in both the public and private sectors, where she has served on several boards and commissions, including as the former Vice Chair of the State of Nevada Colorado River Commission.
In her role as Secretary of the Government Operations Agency, Batjer has won several awards, including Governing Magazine's national 2017 Public Official of the Year, the American Society for Public Administration (Sacramento Chapter) 2018 Liz Hill Public Official of the Year and California Woman Lead: Woman of the Year. During her service at the Federal level, Batjer was honored with the Medal for Distinguished Public Service with Bronze Palm (highest civilian honor) from the Department of Defense, and the Medal for Distinguished Public Service from the Department of the Navy.
- December 30, 2020: CPUC Press Release on Reappointment of President Batjer
- December 30, 2020: Press Release From Governor Newsom Reappointing President Batjer
- August 16, 2019: CPUC Press Release on Swearing In of President Batjer
- July 12, 2019: Press Release From Governor Newsom Appointing President Batjer
Info and Other Documents
- November 25, 2020: PG&E's response to CPUC President Batjer's Nov. 24, 2020 letter
- November 24, 2020:Letter to PG&E regarding CPUC staff conducting fact-finding to determine whether a recommendation to place PG&E into the enhanced oversight and enforcement process that was a condition of approval of PG&E’s plan of reorganization, is warranted due to what appears to be a pattern of vegetation and asset management deficiencies that implicate PG&E’s ability to provide safe, reliable service to customers.
- November 2, 2020: Letter to AT&T regarding Legacy DSL Services Retirement
- September 23, 2020: Letter to AT&T regarding Legacy DSL Services Retirement
- November 18, 2019: President Batjer’s Complete Opening Remarks before the Senate Energy and Utilities Committee re: PSPS
California Public Utilities Commission
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102