Providing Public Comments at the CPUC
The CPUC wants to hear from you! We encourage comments from the public on issues and proceedings to help us reach informed decisions.
Four Ways to Provide Comments to the CPUC
You can submit comments* directly on the CPUC’s website about proceedings, as well as review the comments of others.
Steps to Submit Comments via the Online Form:
- Search for a specific proceeding on the CPUC’s Docket Card
- Type keyword(s) or a proceeding number in the search box
- Click the “Search” button
- Click the appropriate proceeding for which you want to comment
- Click the “Public Comments” tab on the top navigation bar
- Click the “Add Public Comment” button
- Complete the mandatory fields in the submission box
- Click the “Submit” button
*The format is only for comments on proceedings from members of the public. Parties to a proceeding must still formally file comments.
Guidelines for Submitting Comments via Online Form:
- There is a 4,000 word/2-page limit for each comment.
- When a comment is received, it becomes public record and will be made available to the public on the CPUC’s website. However, there is an option to make your comment private.
- You must include your first name, last name, city, state, zip code, and email address. This information, excluding your email address, will be publicly displayed on the
- CPUC’s website with your comment unless you chose to make your comment private.
Parties to CPUC proceedings may, but are not required to, respond to written comments received from the public (see Public Utilities Code section 1701.1(g)). Parties may do so by posting such response using the “Add Public Comment” button on the “Public Comment” tab of the docket card for the proceeding.
If you are unable to submit your comment via our Docket Card, you can send us a letter with you comments on any regulatory topic, known as our “proceedings.” Your comments will be shared with decision-makers. If you have the proceeding number for the matter you are writing about, please include it in your correspondence. If you do not have the proceeding number, please provide the utility company name and any other relevant details.
California Public Utilities Commission
Public Advisor's Office
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Questions? Contact the Public Advisor’s Office
Address: CPUC Public Advisor's Office, 505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94102