Public Forum on SoCalGas Rate Requests
|Location||Remote access via webcast or phone|
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) will hold several public forums to provide an opportunity for customers of Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas) to offer perspective and input about the company’s rate requests, as follows:
- March 6, 2023, 2 p.m. (virtual only)
- March 15, 2023, 6 p.m. (virtual only)
REMOTE ACCESS OPTIONS FOR ALL VIRTUAL PUBLIC FORUMS:
- Live video broadcast with English or Spanish captions via webcast: www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc
- Participants who choose to participate via webcast will only have audio and video capabilities but will not be able to make verbal comments. If you would like to make a comment during the meeting, the phone-in information is below.
- For captions, after clicking on the name of the workshop, click the green button at the bottom of the video for captions. Then select captions by clicking on the white icon next to the word “live” at the bottom of the video.
- The forums will also be recorded and archived for future viewing.
- Phone: 800-857-1917, passcode: 1767567#
- Participants will have audio in English and will be able to make comments. (To make a comment, after entering the passcode, when prompted press *1, unmute your phone, and record your name.)
- Wait times depend on the number of speakers in the public comment queue. During times of high call volumes, wait times will be longer. The operator will call on you when it is your turn to speak.
You can also make your voice heard in the proceedings, and read the comments of others, on our online Docket Card comment section for the proceeding at apps.cpuc.ca.gov/c/A2205015.
The public forum will begin with a brief overview of SoCalGas’ requests, then public comments will be heard. At least one representative from the utility company will be available to customers during the public forum for individual service, including billing issues.
Why is SoCalGas requesting this increase?
On May 16, 2022, SoCalGas filed its 2024 General Rate Case application (A.22-05-015) with the CPUC. The application, as updated in November 2022, requests authority to increase revenues for 2024-2027. SoCalGas is requesting to increase revenues by $738 million (20.2% increase over 2023 expected revenues) in 2024. This application also includes requested increases of $295 million (6.7%) in 2025, $261 million (5.6%) in 2026, and $379 million (7.7%) in 2027. The cumulative requested revenue increase is $4,740 million.
Every four years, SoCalGas is required to file a GRC application with the CPUC to set annual revenues. Annual revenues are the total amount of money a utility is allowed to collect through rates in a given year. The revenues requested in this application pay for the costs of owning and operating gas infrastructure. This application does not include the cost to purchase natural gas for SoCalGas customers and does not determine how revenues are assigned to customer groups. Those are evaluated and authorized in separate proceedings.
SoCalGas is requesting this increase to:
- Continue to invest in its gas delivery system to enhance safety and reliability, and to manage risks that could impact its employees, customers, and/or system;
- Invest in the gas system and technologies that advance clean energy for customers and the environment;
- Continue to invest in the needs of customers by enabling diverse customer service capabilities, and to empower customers with information and tools to better manage their gas use;
- Meet regulatory and compliance requirements driven by system safety and reliability and environmental compliance; and
- Invest in efforts and programs to maintain a highly-trained, qualified, and diverse workforce.
If the CPUC approves this application, SoCalGas will implement new revenues in gas rates beginning on January 1, 2024. This will impact your monthly bill.
How could this affect my monthly gas bill?
If SoCalGas’ rate request is approved by the CPUC, the typical residential monthly bill using 36 therms per month would increase by approximately $8.28 or 13.2% per month in 2024, compared to estimated 2023. Individual customer bills may vary.
While a quorum of Commissioners and/or their staff may attend the public forums, no official action will be taken on this matter.
If special accommodations are needed to attend, such as non-English or sign language interpreters, please contact the CPUC’s Public Advisor’s Office at email@example.com or toll-free at 866-849-8390 at least five business days in advance of the public forum.
Further information on public forum is available at www.cpuc.ca.gov/pph.