Public Briefings on Utility Safety Practices
|Location||Remote access via webcast or phone|
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and the Office of Energy Safety Infrastructure (Energy Safety) will hear from Bear Valley Electric Services (BVES), Southern California Edison (SCE), San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E), and Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) on their electric safety related efforts, as follows:
- Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2022, 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: BVES and SCE
- Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.: SDG&E and PG&E
WHAT: Meeting to provide the CPUC, Energy Safety, and the public thorough information about the electric safety related efforts of BVES, SCE, SDG&E, and PG&E, including wildfire prevention actions and management of utility safety.
WHO: Members of the Boards of Directors of BVES, SCE, SDG&E, and PG&E will present and answer questions from the CPUC and Energy Safety. There will also be opportunity for public comment.
WHERE: Access the meetings virtually via webcast or phone, as follows:
- Live video broadcast with English or Spanish captions via webcast: www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc
- Participants who choose to participate via webcast only will have audio and video capabilities but will not be able to make verbal comment. If you would like to make comments during the meeting, refer to the phone-in information below.
- For captions, after clicking on the name of the workshop, click the green button below the video for captions. Then select captions by clicking on the white icon next to the word “live” at the bottom of the video.
- It will be recorded and archived for future viewing.
- Phone (English): 1-800-857-1917, passcode: 1767567#
- Participants will have audio in English and will be able to make comments or ask questions.
- To make a public comment during the public comment period, press *1 (star one) when you wish to speak to be placed in a queue by the operator.
- Participants will be placed on mute in “listen-only” mode until the public comment portion of the meeting.
- Phone (Spanish): 1-800-857-1917, passcode: 3799627# for Sept. 14, 2022
- Participants will have audio in Spanish and will be able to make comments or ask questions.
While a quorum of Commissioners and/or their staff may attend these briefings, no official action will be taken.
If specialized accommodations are needed to attend remotely, such as non-English or sign language interpreters, please contact the CPUC’s Public Advisor’s Office at email@example.com or toll free at 866-849-8390 at least three days in advance of the meetings.
Please visit www.cpuc.ca.gov/about-cpuc/divisions/safety-policy-division/safety-culture-and-governance closer to the meeting date for more information.
The CPUC enforces regulations to ensure power plants and utility companies run a safe and reliable electric system. The CPUC’s Safety and Enforcement Division (SED) conducts audits and inspections, investigates safety incidents or system problems, issues fines, oversees corrective actions, and advises the CPUC on related matters. The CPUC’s Safety Policy Division reviews and oversees risk analysis and mitigation planning by investor-owned utilities, oversees comprehensive safety culture assessments, analyzes safety metrics, and develops policies and rules designed to improve safety performance.
Energy Safety assesses electrical corporations’ Wildfire Mitigation Plans, annual wildfire-specific safety culture assessments, issues safety certifications to utilities, and evaluates executive compensation structures. Energy Safety maintains compliance through field inspections, audits, and review of utility compliance and Independent Evaluator reports.