Before filing a formal complaint, please make sure you understand the following:

  • We also have an informal complaint process that helps you with complaints against utility companies under our jurisdiction. 

  • Suppose you find that the informal complaint process cannot help you or you wish to appeal the determination made at the end of the informal complaint process. In that case, you may want to file a formal complaint.

  • The CPUC, by law, cannot award damages for things like personal injury, property damage, emotional distress, or loss of wages or profits. To request compensation for damages, you can utilize the utility company’s process, or file a civil court claim.

Download the instructions and forms you need to file a formal complaint. Please read all of the instructions as they provide information on the two types of formal complaints and how the formal complaint process works. Moreover, Article 4 of the CPUC’s Rules of Practice and Procedure provides formal complaints guidelines.

Privacy Notice

Formal Complaints filed with us become a public record. They may be posted on our website, regardless of if you filed in paper form or electronically. Any information you provide in the Formal Complaint, including, but not limited to, your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, e-mail address, and the facts of your case, may be publicly available online.

If you need help understanding the formal complaint process, please contact CPUC’s Public Advisor's Office at or a toll-free phone 1-866-849-8390

Public Advisor’s Office


1-866-849-8390 (toll free)

Mailing Address
California Public Utilities Commission
Public Advisor’s Office
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102