Income Qualified Assistance Programs
Please see the programs below to find out how to enroll in income qualified programs or get assistance paying your utility bill.
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) - Provides a 30-35%1 discount on your electric bill and 20% on your gas bill.
- The Family Electric Rate Assistance Program (FERA) - Bills some of your electricity usage at a lower rate.
- Energy Savings Assistance Program - Provides no-cost weatherization services.
- Discounts, Payment Plans, and Assistance Paying Your Bill - Some utilities offer payment assistance programs for their customers.
- Medical Baseline - Extra allowances of energy are billed at the lowest rate for customers who rely on medical-related equipment.
- Federal Low-Income Programs - Administered by the Department of Community Services and Development (CSD).
For assistance with telecommunications and broadband:
- California LifeLine Program - Provides discounts on home phone and cell phone services.
Quick Links to Income Qualified Program Tools
- California Alternate Rates for Energy and Energy Savings Assistance Program Fact Sheet
- Low Income Oversight Board - Advises the CPUC on low income issues.
- Low Income Oversight Board Meetings
- Energy Savings Assistance Program Policy and Procedure Manual
- Audio/Video of the Joint Workshop of the LIOB - IOUs and SMJUs on the CARE and ESA Programs - August 19, 2015
- Monthly reports for 2021
- Monthly reports for 2020
- Monthly reports for 2019
- Monthly reports for 2018
- Monthly reports for 2017
- Monthly reports for 2016
- Monthly reports for 2015
- Monthly reports for 2014
- Monthly reports for 2013
- Monthly reports for 2012 and earlier may be found here.
- Annual Reports for 2020
- Annual Reports for 2019
- Annual Reports for 2018 | Amended Annual Reports
- Annual Reports for 2017
- Annual Reports for 2016
- Annual Reports for 2015
- Annual Reports for 2014
- Annual Reports for 2013
- Annual Reports for 2012 and earlier may be found here.
Low Income/ESA Reports:
- 2019 Low Income Needs Assessment Final Report - Volume 1 | Volume 2 | Volume 3
- 2016 Low Income Needs Assessment Final Report - Volume 1 | Volume 2 | Banner Tables from Telephone survey
- 2013 Low Income Needs Assessment Final Report - Volume 1 | Volume 2 | Volume 3
- ESA Multifamily Segment Study Research - Final Report | Appendices
- 2011 ESA Impact Evaluation Final Report | Appendices
- ESA Energy Education Final Report and Appendices
- Final Audits of IOU ESA and CARE Programs - Years 2013-20152
- Draft Audits of IOU ESA and CARE Programs - Years 2013-20152
1For the CARE Program, electrical corporations with 100,000 or more customer accounts in California offer a 30% - 35% discount as required by Public Utilities Code Section 739.1. Electrical corporations with fewer than 100,000 customer accounts in California offer a 20% discount.
2Per the Commission decision D.16-11-022 (Section 5.4.2) on ESA and CARE Programs, the Commission is required to post draft and final audit reports on the Commission's Income Qualified Programs webpage.