CPUC To Hold Public Briefings on Utility Readiness for 2021 Public Safety Power Shutoffs
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), in ongoing efforts to hold utilities accountable for safely implementing Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) events, has called on the state’s investor-owned utilities to provide public briefings on their readiness for PSPS events in 2021. The electric utilities are to utilize PSPS events as a tool of last resort to mitigate the risk of wildfire and are to execute such events safely.
The CPUC will be joined on the virtual dais by leaders from the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) and the California Department of Fire and Forestry Protection (CAL FIRE). At the briefings, the utilities will provide information about all aspects of their preparation for PSPS events and answer questions from the CPUC, Cal OES, and CALFIRE. There will also be opportunity for public comment.
The CPUC oversees the utilities’ execution of PSPS events and has been driving improvements in the following areas as the utilities prepare for 2021 PSPS events: notifications; support to medical baseline/access and functional needs; community resource centers; coordination with tribal communities; and steps to minimize the scope of PSPS events.
WHAT: Briefings to provide the CPUC, Cal OES, CALFIRE, and the public thorough information about the utilities’ work to prepare for PSPS in 2021.
- Monday, August 2, 2021, 2 - 5 p.m.: San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E)
- Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 9 a.m. - noon: Southern California Edison (SCE)
- Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 1 - 4 p.m.: Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)
- Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 9 a.m.- noon: Small Multi-Jurisdictional Utilities (Bear Valley Electric Service, Liberty Utilities, and PacifiCorp)
WHERE: Access each briefing virtually via webcast or phone, as follows:
- Live webcast with English or Spanish captions: www.adminmonitor.com/ca/cpuc
- Participants who choose to participate via webcast only will have audio and video, but will not be able to make verbal comment. If you would like to make comments during the meeting, refer to the phone-in information below.
- For captions, after clicking on the name of the workshop, click the green button below the video for captions. Then select captions by clicking on the white icon next to the word “live” at the bottom of the video.
- It will be recorded and archived for future viewing.
- Phone: 800-857-1917, passcode: 7218384#
- Participants will have audio (in English) and will be able to make comments or ask questions.
While a quorum of Commissioners and/or their staff may attend these briefings, no official action will be taken.
If specialized accommodations are needed to attend remotely, such as non-English or sign language interpreters, please contact the CPUC’s Public Advisor’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll free at 866-849-8390 at least three days in advance of the briefings.
For more information on PSPS, please visit www.cpuc.ca.gov/consumer-support/psps.
The CPUC regulates services and utilities, protects consumers, safeguards the environment, and assures Californians’ access to safe and reliable utility infrastructure and services. For more information on the CPUC, please visit www.cpuc.ca.gov.