Take Actions to Reduce Your Electricity Use
Tips to Reduce Energy Use
Below are actions you can take to reduce your electricity use, especially during peak hours from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Keep your lights off to the extent safely possible, including exterior lights that may be on a timer.
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher, health permitting, and turn your air conditioner off when not at home. Move any furniture blocking vents to be sure air is flowing efficiently.
- Charge your laptop and cell phone before 3 p.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Hang dry your clothes instead of using your dryer.
- Unplug energy vampires when not in use, such as televisions, game consoles, and standby coffee makers.
- Use a fan(s) instead of your air conditioner.
- Cover your windows to keep sunlight from heating your home.
- Cook using your stove, microwave, or outside grill instead of your oven.
- Limit opening your refrigerator and freezer.