California Public Utilities Commission Practitioner’s Page
Practice before the Commission is governed by the Public Utilities Code, the Commission’s Rules of Practice and Procedure, specific Commission orders, and customs and practices developed over time to facilitate the efficient resolution of procedural matters that come up in the course of a proceeding. This page is designed to put useful information for both new and veteran practitioners in one place for easy access. If you find information here that you believe to be out of date or think of a topic on which a FAQ or Custom and Practice sheet would be helpful, please contact email@example.com. We value your feedback.
UPDATED PRACTITIONER ALERT
Lifting of COVID-19 Temporary Filing and Service Protocol for Formal Proceedings
Attention All Practitioners:
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and shelter-in-place orders, the Commission put into effect a COVID-19 Temporary Filing and Service Protocol, which suspended certain requirements for hard copy filing and service in formal proceedings. Now that shelter-in place orders are no longer in effect in the state, the Commission is now lifting the temporary protocol. Practitioners are directed to once again comply with all filing and service requirements set forth in the Commission’s Rules of Practice and Procedure.
If you have any questions, please contact Practitioners@cpuc.ca.gov for guidance.
Updated August 23, 2022
Administrative Law Judge Division
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: Learn about our ADR program and how it can assist in creating better outcomes for your cases.
- Custom and Practice: Guidelines and best practices to assist you in understanding the rules.
- Electronic Filing
- Mixed Media Filings: Cutting-Edge Filing Techniques to Accommodate Multiple & Voluminous Media Formats
- Ex Parte Communications
- Filing Confidential Documents Under Seal (Motion to File Under Seal)
- Subscription Service
- Recently Published Documents: A search result of documents published by the CPUC, updated every 24 hours
- Rules of Practice and Procedure
CPUC Practitioner Frequently Asked Questions
Stumped? Got a question? Try our FAQs! Don’t see a FAQ for your situation, send us an inquiry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Docket Office General FAQs: Docket Office handles the intake of all formal filings. If you have a question about the filing rules, try our Docket Office FAQs first.
- Basics on How to File
- Filing Public Versions of Redacted Documents
- How to be Added to a Service List
- Subscription Service