The Consumer Affairs Branch (CAB) assists consumers in resolving application denials to program participation, and assists them in resolving LifeLine billing issues with their service providers.

For information regarding the California LifeLine program such as how to apply and qualification requirements, please visit the California LifeLine website. 

Consumers who believe they have been improperly disqualified from the LifeLine program, may file an appeal with CAB.  Consumers may also file an informal complaint with CAB regarding any billing disagreements they may have with their service provider regarding LifeLine.

Please be aware that some reasons for denial of LifeLine program applications may not be appealable, such as incomplete application forms that have: 

  • Missing Initials
  • Missing Signature
  • Missing Date of Birth
  • Missing last four digits of Social Security Number

For these types of disqualifications, CAB cannot overturn the initial denial and you must re-apply with your service provider.

If you are unsure whether a LifeLine denial can be appealed, please contact the Consumer Affairs Branch at:   1-800-649-7570 Option # 3

If you believe you have been improperly disqualified, and your disqualification can be corrected, you may file a written appeal with CAB as indicated below.

In order for appeals to be considered, they must be received by the due date stated on the LifeLine disqualification letter, and must include the following documentation:

  • A copy of your disqualification letter
  • A brief description of the reason you believe you have been disqualified in error 
  • Any supporting document(s) to prove your LifeLine eligibility

Written appeals can be submitted in one of three ways:

  • Online
  • By U.S. Mail: 
    California Public Utilities Commission
    Consumer Affairs Branch
    505 Van Ness Avenue
    San Francisco, CA 94102-3298
  • By Fax: 1-415-703-1158   

Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for more information. 

Statistics pertaining LifeLine related interactions can be found in the Consumer Affairs Data Web Page.