When contacting us in writing, please include a copy of your bill or service contract with your letter or fax, or attach them as instructed when filing online.

When contacting us by phone or writing, provide the following information:

  • Name of the Utility Provider

  • Full name of the customer. If you are not the customer of record, you must be authorized to discuss the account with the utility company. 

  • Account Number

  • Service Address. The physical location of the service. Is it a residence or business?

  • Mailing Address. If different from service address

  • Area code and phone number that pertains to the dispute 

  • A phone number where we can reach you

  • Details of your complaint. If contacting us in writing, please be specific and provide as much information as possible such as a chronological order of dispute. For example, the dates that charges were billed, the location of the safety concern, etc.

  • Include the utility provider’s response to your concern, if available.

  • If you have submitted this complaint to us before, provide your original case number, if possible.


Contact the Consumer Affairs Branch By Phone:

Please note not all issues can be resolved with a phone call and you may be asked to submit your complaint in writing.      

Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Write to the Consumer Affairs Branch:

Submit written details of your dispute to CAB in one of three ways:

  • Online
  • By Fax: 1-415-703-1158  
  • By U.S. Mail:  
    California Public Utilities Commission
    Consumer Affairs Branch
    505 Van Ness Avenue
    San Francisco, CA  94102 – 3298 

Written complaints are evaluated and, if applicable, submitted to the utility as an Informal Complaint.