Energy Efficiency Strategic Plan
On Sept. 18, 2008, the CPUC adopted California’s first Long Term Energy Efficiency Strategic Plan, presenting a single roadmap to achieve maximum energy savings across all major groups and sectors in California. The Strategic Plan was subsequently updated in January 2011 to include a lighting chapter.
This comprehensive Plan for 2009 to 2020 is the state’s first integrated framework of goals and strategies for saving energy, covering government, utility, and private sector actions, and holds energy efficiency to its role as the highest priority resource in meeting California’s energy needs.
Strategic PlanCalifornia Long-Term Energy Efficiency Strategic Plan
- January 2011 Update - Most recent version of the Strategic Plan adopted in D.10-09-047
- Fact Sheet - From 2008 version of the Strategic Plan
- California’s Long Term Energy Efficiency Strategic Plan – September 2008 - Original version of the Strategic Plan adopted in D.08-09-040
Action plans provide a framework for implementing each chapter of the Strategic Plan. They (a) specify and prioritize key actions to achieve milestones in the Plan, (b) identify champions (or key initiative leads) to pursue these actions, (c) track and report on progress (D.10-09-047 at 6).
- New Residential Zero Net Energy Action Plan, E-reader version and Executive Summary - June 9, 2015
- Codes and Standards Action Plan - March 3, 2014
- Industrial Action Plan - new action plan under development
- Local Government Action Plan - new action plan under development
- Research and Technology Action Plan - August 2013
- Lighting Action Plan - November 2013
- Zero Net Energy Commercial Building Action Plan – June 2011 Update
Zero Net Energy Buildings
The Strategic Plan and 2007 Integrated Energy Policy Report adopted zero net energy goals for new construction in California.
The 2013 Integrated Energy Policy Report further defined Zero Net Energy Buildings and laid out the necessary steps and renewables options for achieving the ZNE 2020 goals.
- September 23, 2010: CPUC Adopts Plan to Save 60-80 Percent Lighting Energy Use Statewide
- September 1, 2010: CPUC Launches Zero Net Energy Action Plan; Goal of Efficient, Clean Energy Powered Buildings by 2030
- September 24, 2009: CPUC establishes energy efficiency programs for 2010 - 2012, making the largest commitment ever made by a state to energy efficiency
- February 13, 2009: "Energy Efficiency for California: Achieving Maximum Energy Savings in California for 2009 and Beyond"