CASF Line Extension Program
Important InformationExtension of California Advanced Services Fund Line Extension Program Grantees Project Deadlines
Program Overview and Important Information
AB 1665 created the Line Extension Program (LEP) as a pilot project within the California Advanced Services Fund (CASF) Broadband Infrastructure Grant Account. Under the LEP, an individual household and/or property owner can apply for an infrastructure grant to offset the costs of connecting a household or property to an existing or proposed facility-based broadband provider.
- The Program Rules established in Decision (D.)19-04-022 can be found at: LEP Broadband Infrastructure Account Requirements, Guidelines and Application Materials
- Questions about how to apply for funding should be directed to CASF staff at: CASFLineExtensionProgram@cpuc.ca.gov
- For additional background on the CASF program and history, please visit: CASF Background and History
AB 1665 authorized the Commission to award up to $5 million in grants to offset the costs of connecting to an existing or proposed facility-based broadband provider.
An "Eligible Applicant" is the customer residing at the location to be served, who qualifies for the California LifeLine or CARE Program's qualifying income threshold. Applicants who are not enrolled in the CARE or LifeLine programs but have a household income equivalent to the CARE program's income guidelines automatically meet the qualifying income threshold.
A representative, including a facilities-based broadband provider, may apply for service on behalf of an eligible applicant or a group of eligible applicants.
Applying for Funds
Applications will be accepted beginning July 1, 2019.
- Review LEP Application Instructions
- Complete and submit the Line Extension Program Application
- Complete and submit Consent Form #1 (or Consent Form #1 Spanish)
- If necessary, complete and submit Consent Form #2 (or Consent Form #2 Spanish)
Applications may be submitted at any time.
Applicants must electronically submit their completed application, along with required documentation, using the Commission's email address at: CASFLineExtensionProgram@cpuc.ca.gov and mail a separate hard copy to:
Attn: California Advanced Services Fund, Line Extension Program
California Public Utilities Commission
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
The submitted documents must be clear and legible.
Public notice of applications received will be published on the Commission's website. Pursuant to PU Code § 281 (f)(8), parties may challenge project applications. Challenges must be submitted to CD and the CASF Distribution List within 14 days after the public notice posting on the Commission's website.
Challenges must be based solely on demonstrating actual levels of broadband service in the project area. Challengers have 10 business days to provide service to the households; otherwise, the challenge will be denied.
Proposed and Approved Projects
CASF Line Extension Program Projects Approved by Resolution
September 13, 2021
- Cruzio Media Inc., San Jerardo Housing Cooperative Project - Approves funding up to the amount of $292,548 to provide fixed wireless service to 64 households, a daycare and a community center in the San Jerardo Housing Cooperative Project in Monterey County. Resolution T-17745.
August 31, 2023
- The Southside Road Project - Approves up to $1,770,748 in funding in support of a line extension project to bring broadband internet service to 194 households at the San Benito County Farm Bureau Southside Road Labor Camp, The Hollister Migrant Housing Center, and the Community Services Development Corporation Southside Mobile Park in San Benito County. Resolution T-17792.
CASF Line Extension Program Projects Approved by Ministerial Letter
January 23, 2023
- Comcast Corp. Project - Approves funding up to the amount of $2,574.61 in support of a line extension project to bring broadband internet service to a household in Nevada County. Approved by Ministerial Letter.
February 5, 2020
- Sebastian Corp. Project - Approves funding up to the amount of $5,229.61 in support of a line extension project to bring broadband internet service to a household in Fresno County. Approved by Ministerial Letter.
Please contact us at CASFLineExtensionProgram@cpuc.ca.gov